LIMITED TIME OFFER: Use code 10YEARS10 to get 10% off your Appliantology membership. Click here for more ×
Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 27 April 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, April 27 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Comfortmaker rpj 2 furnace blower works for heat but not ac

GA_girl

The problem i'm having is that the furnace blower starts when the thermostat is set to heat. When it's turned to cool or when the thermostat is lowered to a cooler temp the blower immediately stops spinning.

I took the cover off the furnace and everything looks connected except for a thin wire that connects to a pump that sits right next to the furnace. It's a black wire that splits into 2 wires -red and white.

This whole problem started when the condenser unit outside was making a humming noise but the fan would not spin. I opened it up and the contactor was corroded. But the mechanic replaced the entire condenser unit. Now the AC is still not working and he says the blower motor on the furnace needs to be replaced because it stops intermittently.

The air blowing around the furnace is getting cooled but it's not making it inside the house. There's also pvc piping that connects the small pump to the furnace. There's an opening in this pipe that's not capped off. Cold air was blowing through this opening and water was pooled in the pipe.

I just wanted to get a second opinion on all of this. Any help is greatly appreciated.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Team Samurai

He replaced the entire condensing unit because of a corroded contactor!? And you're still using this guy!?? Get some references on other repair companies and then call one of them for a second opinion.

FIRST RPJ 2  is not a model number for a confortmaker . so i am not sure what you have . as far as the little things you dont like , the hole in the pipe , its normal- its a vacuum break..... the little wires that go to the pump - there to kill the condensing unit if the pump fails to pump the water out so you dont have a flood ....... so all sounds normal ..... even the burned out contactor can mean a locked up compressor ......... but  ..... sounds like you dont trust your repair guy ? .... with any repair preson , appliance , auto , plumber . TRUST IS EVERYTHYING  ..... if you lost trust you MUST  go somewhere else .... a second set if eyes is not a bad idea .......getting back to the blower motor . i dont know if you have a control board or just a simple relay to control that motor . so please find someone you TRUST  to look at it

Thanks guys. Your absolutely right. Getting a second opinion is an easy fix to my problem.

And yes I did lose trust in the repair guy, so I started to wonder if something was done incorrectly that caused the furnace to stop working.

But I will get a new set of eyes on it and will go from there.

Thanks again.

• 1 month later...
I took the cover off the furnace and everything looks connected except for a thin wire that connects to a pump that sits right next to the furnace. It's a black wire that splits into 2 wires -red and white.

Are you implying that these are not connected?

If so, this is definitely your problem! It should be ran in series w/condensing unit as a safety [as cactus implied] and usually tied in with a float switch. If disconnected there will be nothing and your guy should have pointed this out!

Geeze, Does it look CUT.... You know like purposely :yikes:

Hi,

I did have another guy come out an take a look. He told me that there were leaks in the evaporator coils and from the condensing unit.

He said that the service pipe (the pipe connecting the condensing unit to the house) was soldered incorrectly and that the seals inside were damaged and leaking.

I was mistaken about the blower. I was told that this was a fan that only turns on when the heat is called for.

I'll try to get a pic posted of the control panel in the furnace for another opinion.

Thanks.

I've been quoted a price for the repair.  900 for the evaporator coils which includes the cost of freon (250). Plus 250 for the service pipe- i think that's the name for it. Does that sound reasonable.

a whopping 1150 for a repair that might have been resolved with the replacement of a contactor.

But hey. it was an old system. It may have been time for an upgrade. and I hear that the newer units are more energy efficient.

Archived