Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Learn how to troubleshoot using schematics like a real tech…

Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Stay connected with us...

Samurai on Facebook - become a fan today! Sign up for our free newsletter and keep up with all things Appliantology. Subscribe to our YouTube channel for lots of appliance repair tips and help! Follow the Samurai on Twitter and get timely morsels of Appliantological Wisdom! Subscribe to our MST Radio podcast to learn secrets of the trade.
cbixel

Magic Chef won't spin

3 posts in this topic

I have an 8 year old Magic Chef washing machine that won't spin.  It will agitate and the rest of the cycle seems to run just fine.  Turning the washer on it side so tht I can see the belt on the bottom reveals that the motor is working and the belt is fine, but seems very loose.  I can move the motor with my hands to make the belt tighter or looser.  Is this simply a case where the motor needs to be positioned so that the belt is tight, or is there some tensioning system that allows the  motor to spin and then moves the motor to tighten it up at the correct times?I

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

The motor is on a slide kit and should move freely side to side ... I would have to go with a thrust bearing kit first  ... If its in a basement thats really damp is also possible that brake is frozen    but the first thing is normally the thrust bearing kit (assembly) ....   just make sure that the belt isnt  glazed to hell and not spinning the pulley... Maytag came out (admiral) with a new thrust bearing kit so you dont have to line up all the damn washer underneath on the main pulley....

Thanks for the advice.  After fiddling with it a bit, the spin cycle seems to be working again.  Would this indicate that the belt may be glazed like you said?  If so, I imagine that replacement is in order?