Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Tired of guessing on service calls?

Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Stay connected with us...

Samurai on Facebook - become a fan today! Sign up for our free newsletter and keep up with all things Appliantology. Subscribe to our YouTube channel for lots of appliance repair tips and help! Follow the Samurai on Twitter and get timely morsels of Appliantological Wisdom! Subscribe to our MST Radio podcast to learn secrets of the trade.
irby

Old Kenmore top freezer Mod. 106.7697462

10 posts in this topic

OK, while you guys are hot, I have another old fridge that starts frosting immediately after I have cleaned it and restarted it.  I find no water in the fridge bottom or in the evaporating tray underneath. 

Thanks in advance.  Any suggestions?????

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

Perhaps you need to explain this better, the evaperator has to get frosty when the system is working properly.  Except when it is in the defrost cycle.  What is getting frosty, how much and how long of a period are you talking about.

Sorry, I'll try to be more specific.

The frost on the back of the freezer compartment (the evaporator?) seems to keep building up.  When I last cleaned this area, the condensate drain hole was iced, and I cleared it.  But, it appears that the defroster might not be working properly, as the frost seems to be building up slowly.

BTW, I have added some salt to the area around the drain hole, as someone suggested.

Hope this makes sense.

Thanks

Yes, sounds like you have a defrost problem, need to see if it is the defrost heater, bi-metal or defrost timer.  Check the heater first, under the evaperator, it is glass and they do break.

Is this a flex tray icemaker?If so,your timer is part of the icemaker itself. Has it quit recently?

Sure enough, our grasshopper has the old flex tray ice maker with defrost timer built into the icemaker.

Have you by any chance removed the icemaker? This unit will not operate correctly without the icemaker.

The icemaker is still in place, but it is not connected to a water supply.  I will checkout the heater during the next cleanup.

Thanks a bunch!!

Oh, BTW, I have the icemaker switch in the off position,   also.

Irby, when you go to clean your evaporator again,take the icemaker loose, turn it aroundand you'll see a slot in the back of the i-m. Turn it slowly with a slotted screwdriver until you hear it click.This is defrost.Wait a few seconds and then listen closely. If you hear the sound of ice cracking (similar to pouring tea over ice cubes)then your heater is working. I call this my poor man's amprobe. And get that salt out of there! That's just to help open your drain.

Thank you very much for this advice.  I will do just that!  The salt  :D WILL go.!