Click here to check out this guide.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 27 April 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, April 27 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

furnace change to propane kit

olars

I have a lenexx furnace mod number G12Q3-110-3 I need to convert it to propane. The store where I live does not have the convertion kit. Can any one help me? I would be willing to buy the whole modual or whatever it get this running please hurry winter is comming way up here in North Dakota.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Team Samurai

Dayyam, Reg, I was lookin' all over for a supplier. How'd you find that?

You and Pegi are both master infonauts! :ufo:

just searched Yahoo or Google  for "G12Q3-110-3"

thank you so much for the help the Number on the valve is SX242NB Could I just bolt any old propane valve onto the tube? I have an old furnace valve but I do not know what the make of the furnace is I do know that the pipe fitting is the same. What would happen If I just bolted that old piece on? I really would rather just buy the right new piece though.

The biggest issue related to changing over a furnace from NG to LP is the size of the orifice (also called the Spud).  These are the brass nuts just before each burner assembly/venturi. Natural gas uses a different size opening than LP; furthermore, LP also requires a different pressure setting at the gas valve.  This is necessitated by the fact that LP is heavier than NG and has a different fuel/air mixture ratio than NG and this accomplished through the higher pressure and different orifice size.

First you must get the spuds with the correct orifice sizes installed into the gas manifold pipe for each burner in the furnace.  You then must adjust the the pressure at the gas valve up from 3.0-3.5" WC to 11" WC or whatever OEM spec is reccomended.

You will most likely need a gas regulator (not the same as a gas valve which is located within the furnace compartment) from the propane tank to the gas service line to the house.  The tank company can handle that issue for you when the tank is set and filled.  The inlet pressure to the gas valve from the gas regulator needs to be be ABOVE 11" WC to ensure that there is sufficient pressure and volume to the gas valve or else it will not hold open the gas valve in your furnace properly and will give a pulsing sound as it flutters open and shut. It will sound like a pulsing jet engine.

You will need to check the operation of the machine and proper adjustment of the flame.  Proper adjustment is all blue flame with a light blue inner and darker blue outer halo - no yellow, no lazy drifting flame.  The operation of the machine is checked by matching the temperature rise across the exchanger (difference between inlet temp and outlet air).  It must fall within the prescribed limits that are listed on the name plate inside the furnace compartment.

In all you will need a few pipe wrenches, thread tape, manometer, temperature probe, adjustable wrench, soap bubbles, correct sized spuds, screw driver, and possibly hex wrench set.

If you have never done this before or had any training/experience in doing this, you might not want to go this alone.  You may end up exercising your Home Owner's Fire Insurance deductible. It really depends on you skill and experience level.

Best of luck.

1*

Thanks for the input. I will see if the old furnase has those orifaces the same thread pitch so I can use them. I had a propane furnace in the shop but the thing died. so everything into the garage is already for propane. In the past I had only changed the orifaCE IN THE GAS VALVE IN THE FURNACE.

Archived