Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Learn how to be your own tech line…

Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Stay connected with us...

Samurai on Facebook - become a fan today! Sign up for our free newsletter and keep up with all things Appliantology. Subscribe to our YouTube channel for lots of appliance repair tips and help! Follow the Samurai on Twitter and get timely morsels of Appliantological Wisdom! Subscribe to our MST Radio podcast to learn secrets of the trade.
Wallknight

Kenmore L Center 417.94802301 spin binds

5 posts in this topic

After my last repair - a broken bracket- the machine worked good for a few weeks.  Then the same noise / smell appeared.  This time, it was the belt.  The basket will not freely spin, so the motor chewed almost through the belt.  Got  a new belt, but it often still wont start to spin.  If I grab the basket and help it start, its just fine. 

Meanwhile, holding just the shaft, I can no longer spin the unit w/o the motor being on as well. 

What would cause the basket to be seized like this?  But only seized at initial start up?

Another clue may also be that the case in the top side of the outer basket retaining has gotten larger.  the basket remains slightly off center.

Thanks,

Paul

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

may want to remove the basket to may sure there are no socks anything between basket and tub

Already did, suspecting a plastic shirt collar stiffener.  Nothing.  The shaft does seem to lean slightly toward the motor.  Would a faulty bearing do this?

ok, turned out a bolt that held the outer tub to the metal bracket had fallen out, tilting everything offcenter, and binding the shaft.  Surprising difficult to get it back together.  Then it really started to squeal, until some water was in it.  That's another thread...