LIMITED TIME OFFER: Use code 10YEARS10 to get 10% off your Appliantology membership. Click here for more ×
Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 27 April 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, April 27 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Payne Furnace Cycling Without Heat

Tom Pav

Tonight the furnace kept cycling without heating the house.  I initially had Error Code 12, realized the filter was disgusting (just installed cabinets and flooring on remodel with cutting in the house).  Too late to find a new filter, so kind of picked most the dirt out and reinstalled it.

Still cycling, but now have Error Code 34.

Unfortunately I'm in Oregon in the middle of a snow storm and can't get anyone out here for days (it's 10 degrees right now and we have a few feet of snow).

Does anyone have any idea of what the problem could be and how I might fix or at least patch it until I can get a svc call?  If I were able to find a new filter would the fix be that simple? Or is there some kind of trip switch I need to reset/replace? Or....?

Thanks in advance,

Tom

(cold and sober -- hopefully I'll be neither tomorrow night!)

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We need more information.  The error code list should be inside one of the cover panels explaining what a error code 12 and 34 means. 

Sequence of operation is as follows. 

1) Call for heat.  HEY HEAT, GET YOUR ASS IN HERE!!

2) Inducer motor kicks on (if so equipped) closing the pressure switch. I just can't stand the pressure!!

3) Igniter glows.  Isn't that a purty orange color??

4) Gas valve opens.  Ahhh, FIRE!!!

5) Blower motor kicks in after a couple of minutes.  Arr, blow me down.

The model number is PG9MAB

Fault Codes are:

Fault Code 12         Power Interruption or Furnace Powered Up

Checklist    During a Call for Heat Blower will run for 90 sec before furnace starts a normal heating cycle.  

Code  14 or 34        Ignition Lockout or Ignition Proving Fault

Check to be sure manual shutoff valve in gas supply pipe is in the open position. (Follow start-up procedure if you open gas line.)

NOTE: Turn off the electrical supply and remove access doors before continuing with this checklist.  

Check to be sure control switch or knob on gas valve is in ON position. (Follow start-up procedures if you must reset switch or knob to ON.)

Here is the cycle of what is happening:

1) Black wheel spins on Blower Box

2)  Orange Glow from Pilot Box area

3) Hear a click

4) Blue flame flicker from Pilot Box area

5) Flame out, no blue or orange glow

6) Notice LED no longer solid and blinking Code 34

7) Blowing air through vents

8) Everything off

The above sequence keeps repeating (except for #6 which stays in Code 34).

Sorry for the above layman explanation and not sure if Blower Box or Pilot Box are correct terms.  But I would appreciate anyone trying to help me fix or at least patch this until I can get someone to fix it.

THANKS,

Tom

PROBLEM SOLVED

I realized it was an airflow, but was stuck on the dirty filter issue when I should have realized I have almost two feet of snow on my roof.

I climbed up the roof and sure enough the vent is below the snow line.  There was a hole in the snow making it easy enough to find, I was already on all fours, so just made some snow angels on my roof to clear the snow, headed back into the house, hit the breaker switch to the furnace and ALL IS GOOD!

Have an awesome holiday everyone.

Tom

Glad you were able to figure it out!!

That makes sense.  With the vent plugged, that would prevent the inducer from closing the pressure switch.  Good job of self diagnosis there TomPav.

Archived