Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 27 April 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, April 27 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Rheem Heat Pump -- Defrosting chain of events

andersoj

Sorry for the lack of model #, but I don't think it's really relevant.

We recently had a failure of our heat pump, and it took awhile for me to sort out what happened.  Here's what I've pieced together:

- Drain line for water pump froze over

- Heat Pump goes into defrost (cooling) mode, and starts sucking moisture out of the internal air

- Drain pump reservoir fills up with water

- Heat pump fan unit cutoff is triggered (silently!) by water pump switch

- Heat pump (inside) coils frost over in to one gigantic ice cube

I'm not totally sure this is exactly how things happened the first time, but it definitely repeated several times as I tried to get things going.  I defrosted the heat pump, located in our crawl space, with a big new propane forced-air heater.  I string some temporary drainage line to make sure I could keep an eye on it for a few days.

It's working now, air movement is back to normal, filters are clear, and the pump is working.  I've also listened to the reverser valve go through a few transitions -- it's a little noiser than it used to be, but it's 12-15 degrees out, so maybe that's expected.

Few questions:

- If I see frost all over the internals on the outside heat pump unit (fan is clear, but reverser valve and lines under the shroud were *coated* in inches of frost) AND I have the inside units' coils frozen over into a solid ice cube, does this mean there's something deeper going on?

- If I'm running a separate gas fireplace in the house in order to cut down on heat-pump electric/aux heating, is there anything I need to look out for?

- It seems nasty that the water pump can silently cut off the heat pump without raising a warning, though I guess I don't know how I'd get that warning.  Should I have a thermostat inside with some kind of alarm mechanism to let me know something has gone tits up in the bowels of the system?

JA

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Their is a float built into the reservoir, if the water don't get pumped out the float kills the system to keep from flooding the house with unwanted water. The drain pump is probo dead. What ya thank?

• Team Samurai

[user=4554]applianceman18007260692[/user] wrote:

The drain pump is probo dead. What ya thank?

Sounds like some might good thankin' to me, applianceman! :smokin:

Drain pump is fine -- the line was frozen, so it was pumping against about 8-10 feet of ice.  I routed a second drain line, and the drain pump is no longer an issue.  I also tested it with a 2-gallon jug of water brought down for the purpose.

The real concern, long term, is that I should be notified somehow if a failure of this type happens.  Any cutoff (from drain pump or otherwise) that disables the heat pump / blower unit ought to raise an alarm.  I'm shopping for indoor thermostats that have this capability...

Also, whatever caused the catastrophic icing ought to be avoidable...

JA

What you can do is put some thermistically controled heat tape on the drain pipe to keep it from freezing like they use in modern walkin coolers. You wrap it around the drain pipe. If the pipe gets below freezing the wires in it heat the pipe keeping the water from freezing.

http://www.chromalox.com/productcatalog/Heat+Tracing+Products/Light+Commercial+Cables+and+amp%3b+Controls/Heating+Cable+-+Pipe+Freeze+Protection/product-details.aspx?p=316

Archived