Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 27 April 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, April 27 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Funky smell with A'C

kochrk

How come you get an odor from you A/C when you haven't had it on for a while?  Just turned it on tonight because it was 70 in here and I wanted to get down to about 65.  I have noticed it many times in the past, including in my Jeep, but I am just getting to ask the question.

I meant A/C in the Topic but can't figure how to change it.

Rudy

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That is what is called Dirty Sock Smell.  It is from a colony of micro organisms that can inhabit the evaporator coil.  In the AC mode there is a medium for colonization (the metal coil surface), Moisture (condensation from the air being conditioned), food (dust, debris, various airborne materials) all in a dark space (the case of the coil and plenum). 

This is particularly a problem in Heat Pump units due to the fact that the coil of these devices in the heat mode do not necessarily reach a high enough temperature point to kill the organism(s).  They then go into hibernation mode when the growing conditions are not what they are looking for.  Some time along the beginning of AC season the moisture from the first condensation creates the necessary growing conditions again.  The byproducts given off by the critters during this recolonization is what you are smelling.

This sounds like you can make a movie out of it.  Is this something where you run aux heat to kill, or take the side cover off and spray something or is it somewhat normal?

The AUX heat strips are past the indoor coils so running them will actually do nothing.  We have had numerous occasions where the funk would simply not go away.  It seems that once a colony is solidly established in the pores of the metal surface that little if anything will ever eradicate it.  Our greatest incidence seems to be with medical facilities - Dentist, Dermatologist, Cancer centers.  We were wondering what - if any - chemicals are common and induce the problem. 

In fact, Lennox and Trane actually manufacture coils (other manufacturers may also - I only know for certain that these two do) that have been treated or "Dipped" and this process seals the pores in the metal surface and are considered "Funk Free."  Trane has a policy that if one of their indoor coils develops the dirty sock syndrome within the first 3 years, they will provide the owner with a new dipped coil free of charge - the owner will incur incidental charges associated with the install of the new one.

To answer your question (and I have no stake, monies, or other interests in this company - they just make really good stuff) I use Diversified Products blue pan tabs to kill the growths in the condensate pan/PVC line/condensate pump, Triple D cleaner for the coils, as well as Sani Clean Spray to kill all that is possible by chemical means. 

To this you can use UV lighting in the coil area.  Remember though, UV-C is highly destructive to plastics and will dry rot exposed drain pans, filter media, and other synthetic materials.  However, UV-C is jam up on killing things.  Ozone producing tubes further kill organisms by killing their DNA and ability to reproduce.  Ozone actually has farther reaching effects than UV light and chemically alters odors - thus neutralizing the smell through oxidation.  The strength and effects of the light is limited to treating only exposed solid surfaces and the light's killing potential is reduced by a logarithmic factor related to the distance of the surface from the tube.  Ozone actually treats particles that are airborne and is not dependent on hard metal surface exposure.  Ozone can travel through the coils, blower wheel, and duct work killing organisms and neutralizing odors far more efficiently.

So the answer to how to get rid of the smell lies in the degree of your particular problem.  A good duct cleaning, filter change, and/or chemical cleaning could suffice.  More thorough treatments with UV-C/Ozone tubes might be the next (and usually the most efficent)step, whereas new dipped coils may be the last resort.

What about using an (Electrostatic) Electronic Air Cleaner (in place of, or in addition to, the Air Filter)

They seem to produce Ozone at times ...

Thanks a bunch for all the suggestions and information.  I haven't been around to do anything but I wanted to let everyone know I appreciate it and I will post on this subject once I have time to mess with it.

The smell is only when I go to AC after a long period of time being on heat.  If it is the AC season I do not get the smell.  Now it is Heat time, so I can almost say that if I switched to ac it would smell for about 10 mins and go away. It is really more like sour milk to me, but I am not there to double check while I write this.

• 2 weeks later...

All of the above info is nice. After you accomplish all of the above. Toss in some pan pills to keep your house smelling all nice nice. the funk you refer to is the the old drain pan sludge delemna. I use an HVAC product called pro treat. It is the best on the market . keeps the drain clear and the house smelling nice.

I used borax on my fundoshi's, no comment on that :D:grunt:

Thank You.  I have yet to try anything until I am home for a while.  Been gone alot lately.  There certainly is a wealth of information just on this post.

Archived