Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 30 March 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, March 30 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

I need to clean evaporator coil

holysmoke

I am able to get to the exterior of the coil easily and it is very dirty.

Please tell me how to clean this.  I called an AC company and they wanted $500.  I know, its SW Florida

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Take a stiff bristled paint brush and GENTLY brush the coils in line with the ridges and use a shop vac to vacuum to all of the  available surfaces at the same time.  Use a 1 or 3 gal pump spray bottle with the long wand and trigger assembly so as to be able to reach well inside the case.  Use a 1:1 or 2:1 of Simple Green (or any mild surfactant you like) to water mix and put it in the pump sprayer bottle.

Pump it up to a good strong pressure (adjust the spray half way between a stream and widest spray pattern) and starting from the top down wash the coil on all exposed metal surfaces.  You can use the paint brush to continue loosening the remaining dirt while the mixture soaks.  Clean the pump bottle and then go back over the coil with clean water at least once.

Most likely the reason for the $500 cost is that the Company intends to remove the coil from the case and chemically clean it outside of the unit and THAT IS labor intensive and cannot be done without special tools, skills, and supplies. 

Even though it sounds like alot - and in fact that is alot of money - that method is the best way.  The method I described is one of the more common ones while not going through labor of removing the coil.

have searched google for Evapco foaming evaporator cleaner

Evapco evaporator cleaner

and Evapco cleaner

with no luck.  do you know where I might buy this product? thanks

nathancarter

Just to contribute something else that's somewhat related - and I hope it's not too off-topic:

There is a very similar evap cleaner made specifically for cleaning automotive evaporator cores - the kind that are hidden in your dashboard. If your car's A/C is stinky or musty or mildewy, give it a try!

http://www.1z-usa.com/Klima-Cleaner--AC-Odor-Remover_p_28.html

http://www.autogeek.net/1z-einszett-klima-cleaner-air-freshener.html

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=607183

The foaming cooling coil cleaner is for A coils because it does not use the acid base that is needed for the outside units. It is baking soda based and works quite well. Probably does well on cars, it kicks ass on window units. You can get it at ACE hardware or online. For outside units on central air you need a tougher product. Most pros buy a concentrated gallon of acid based cool cleaner stuff for that and is not recommended for indoor use. Brite alum is the best

post-4554-129045109418_thumb.jpg

post-4554-129045109673_thumb.jpg

Archived