Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 30 March 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, March 30 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Appliantologist Merit Exam

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

• Team Samurai

So, Grasshoppah, you think you’re smarter than the average grasshoppah? You think you got what it takes to be an Merit Apprentice Appliantologist? Or maybe even a Buckaroo Banzai Appliantologist? Well then, come strut yo’ stuff in the Appliantologist Merit Exam and we shall indeed see if’n you got what it takes to become one of the most fearsome and elite appliance repair shock troops the world has ever seen! :samurai:

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh Grand Master,

I am a tech from a far land, of a strange discipline

I know the tools well, the techniques well, but am unfamiliar with the specific demons that abound in these, as you say, appliances.

I have lurked in the shadows of knowledge surrounding this forum for years. All the while slaying the failures of appliances around me, through a combination of guile and bull headed determinedness.

I have now encountered a beast that has given me pause.

I am told that parts are NLA, get rid of the unit.

I cannot face my clan by doing so. I must not let this fiend win.

I must enter your dojo, and humbly ask for training.

I come to you and thank you for acceptance into your domain, and promise to humbly offer experiences and trainings that while foreign to you and yours, may enrichen your knowledge of the disciplines in which I am trained.

Rob

• 1 month later...

Me Too!! I also am now a venerated Merit Appliantologist, TV Broadcast Technician, and amateur Automobile Wrench-head.

Where Oh Mighty Master, might I find the exam to become Merit Sublime Master Beer Connoisseur? Beam me up s'il vous plait.

:ufo:

• 2 weeks later...

Took the test....but how do I find out the score ? It asks for 4 digit number verification, but thats as far as it went.          Thx!!

• 1 month later...
  • Team Samurai

Holy Guacamole! How'd I miss all these replies in this topic? I gots me some ketchin' up to do!

StonedWallaby

I was surprised (and honoured) to discover that I had received full marks on the test. I know I still have much more to learn in the ways of appliantology.

• Team Samurai

[user=16154]helowrench[/user] wrote:

Oh Grand Master,

I am a tech from a far land, of a strange discipline

I know the tools well, the techniques well, but am unfamiliar with the specific demons that abound in these, as you say, appliances.

I have lurked in the shadows of knowledge surrounding this forum for years. All the while slaying the failures of appliances around me, through a combination of guile and bull headed determinedness.

I have now encountered a beast that has given me pause.

I am told that parts are NLA, get rid of the unit.

I cannot face my clan by doing so. I must not let this fiend win.

I must enter your dojo, and humbly ask for training.

I come to you and thank you for acceptance into your domain, and promise to humbly offer experiences and trainings that while foreign to you and yours, may enrichen your knowledge of the disciplines in which I am trained.

Rob

Welcome to the dojo, Rob!

Please share with us your foreign art.

• Team Samurai

[user=9025]Northern-Tech[/user] wrote:

Took the test....but how do I find out the score ? It asks for 4 digit number verification, but thats as far as it went.          Thx!!

I got your exam, NT. You should have gotten your results. Lemme know.

• Team Samurai

[user=16035]BoZo_zach[/user] wrote:

I have taken the test and did not recieve a score

You're already an Apprentice. The exam is an alternate way to become an Apprentice. I get a bunch of 'em back every day and I grade them by hand. Takes a lot of time. I try to get results back to everyone but sometimes you just gotta triage it. Only so much time in the day and I'm just one guy. One very talented and good looking guy, to be sure, but just one guy nonetheless. :afro:

• Team Samurai

[user=51236]Bob Scott[/user] wrote:

Where Oh Mighty Master, might I find the exam to become Merit Sublime Master Beer Connoisseur? Beam me up s'il vous plait.

:ufo:

Great idea! That's going in The Stack™.

• Team Samurai

[user=55102]StonedWallaby[/user] wrote:

I was surprised (and honoured) to discover that I had received full marks on the test. I know I still have much more to learn in the ways of appliantology.

As do we all, my son. Your Apprenticeship should be seen as the beginning of an infinite journey. And since the journey is infinite, we are always at the beginning. Zen mind, beginner's mind. Can I hear an "Amen?" :touched:

• 2 months later...
CantConfirmOrDeny

So - I can verify that 9 years of working on copiers and printing presses can qualify one as a Merit Appliantologist. There was one question, though, that I had to get lucky on - copiers don't have certain components found on common household equipment. But they all use the same electricity!

Archived