Lost with the new appliances? The Samurai teaches you Circuit Fu…

Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Stay connected with us...

Samurai on Facebook - become a fan today! Sign up for our free newsletter and keep up with all things Appliantology. Subscribe to our YouTube channel for lots of appliance repair tips and help! Follow the Samurai on Twitter and get timely morsels of Appliantological Wisdom! Subscribe to our MST Radio podcast to learn secrets of the trade.
rogk

Amana Brake Pads

3 posts in this topic

As a new "poster " to the board I humbly ask the indulgence of the appliance masters ....

I 've got an Amana LWA50AW with broken brake pads ( my terminology) . 

3 Questions...

(1)  Is the purpose of the brake system to keep the drum fixed while agitating ?  My guess that it is 'cause the drum is turning while agitating and two of the brake pads are broken completely off.

(2) The brake "rotor" has a fair amount of slop on the shaft ....is that normal and is the rotor usually need replacing with the pads ?

(3) Is there a common branch on the family tree between Amana & Maytag ... it seems that some of the parts listed have maytag part #'s.

Thanks for listening,

rogk

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

Maytag bought amana    ... The pads stop the unit from spinning in agitate and stop the unit after a spin. You can get away with changing the pads ... There is also a special lubricant from amana to apply to the pads apply the grease lightly

My wife doesn't like this answer. She was hoping for a new front loading washer and dryer!  However, being my normal frugal person, I do like the answer VERY much.

Ever grateful,

Rogk