Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 27 April 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological. 
      We have a special session planned for this one. Instead of the usual Show 'n Tell on a technical topic, we're going to post tech sheets in the comments to this Calendar Event (scroll down to see what's posted so far) and ask specific questions that can only be answered by reading the tech sheet. If you at least try to answer the questions beforehand, you'll get a lot more out of it. The tech sheet and the questions are posted in the comments section below.
      Your mission, if you should choose to accept it, is to check out the questions for each one and try to answer them ahead of time. Then come to the Dojo to see how well you did! 
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, April 27 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Wiring Diagram for RUDD AC Unit

ftrevor

I have a small problem with a RUDD UAKA-037JAZ condensing unit.  I need to replace the contactor (Honeywell R8243A-1031) which is a SPST 30A model.  The recommended replacement part is a CTR301PS.

The problem is that the replacement part (and the diagram for the R8243) don't match my physical part.  I have used many contactors in the past and understand the wiring. (Load, Source, Control).  The problem is my unit has a spade on the side that is wired to a large capacitor.

Is there a different part I should replace with or is there an alternate wiring approach to use with the replacement part?

I have a wiring diagram from RUDD, and it appears that the capacitor is tied to the load on the contactor. Does this make sense or should I draw my sword and do the only honerable thing.

T

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

You are over thinking the line/load issue.  Capacitors are load devices.  Sounds like you have a two or three pole contactor instead of the one pole version that you originally had.  It (the new one)LOOKS different however electrically it will all be the SAME in the eyes of the unit.  Just hook up everything as you had it with old contactor (whats on top stays on top, whats on bottom stays on bottom, whats on the left and right side stays on the left and right side) and when the contactor pulls it will all work.  Thats just the non-technical low down. 

You can  look to your diagram to see the run winding conections for the compressor and condensor fan motor, the common, and how the start winding get the capacitor in series from one side and power to energize the capacitor. How counter EMF removes the start winding, etc. Somehow I think you just want it to work at this point so just put whatever contactor you have now in the hole and hook it up the exact way it all came apart and you will be just fine.

Let me see, I think I remember writing this somewhere here ????

[align=center]Contactors and Starters[/align] [align=center] [/align] On most single-phase compressors with a single-pole contactor, there is a solid bar on one side of the contactor instead of having two contacts. One leg of power passes down the bar to the capacitor and to the run winding. It passes through the run winding of the compressor and from common back to the contactor. It lands on the load side of the normally open contact of the contactor. At off cycle, line voltage will be read from one side of the normally open contact to the other: Line 1 on the line side and Line 2 on the load side via the windings.

The crankcase heater will be attached to the contactor with one leg on the load side and one on the line side of the normally open contacts. At off cycle it will have line voltage applied to it and will heat the crankcase. Once the contactor is energized, both the line and load side of the normally open contacts become one. Since you cannot feed a load with one line of power, the crankcase heater will not work again until the contactor opens. This is a simple way to turn the crankcase heater off during the on cycle and to turn it on at the off cycle. Exercise caution when checking this type of setup because power is always present on the load side of the contactor.]

Archived