Begin your journey to appliance repair mastery…

Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Stay connected with us...

Samurai on Facebook - become a fan today! Sign up for our free newsletter and keep up with all things Appliantology. Subscribe to our YouTube channel for lots of appliance repair tips and help! Follow the Samurai on Twitter and get timely morsels of Appliantological Wisdom! Subscribe to our MST Radio podcast to learn secrets of the trade.
Need to do Laudry-Please help

Whirlpool washer top load

8 posts in this topic

hi,

trying to finish laundry- the machine goes through all cycles, but on the spin i start smelling a burning odor and the machine just stops spinning.

i looked under the machine and then put the machine on spin cycle, it wouldn't spin until i moved the coupler. while spinning i drop of oil came out of the transmission gear box.

was just wondering if anyone might suggest if that might mean i have to get a new transmission gear box.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

thank you

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

Probably not a transmission problem. I would suspect the coupler, motor, timer-- in that order.

Start by removing the motor and inspecting the coupler.

Does the motor make a growling noise during spin? Getting really hot? Lights dimming or fluttering a little? If yes to any of these, then you'll want to verify that the motor is not getting two of it's speed windings energized simultaneously. Wiring diagram and meter and needed for this. Wiring diagram is inside the back panel. Meter help here:

http://fixitnow.com/2004/12/appliance-repair-revelation-making.htm

Does the motor get hot to the touch?

hi,

there is no noise on motor, timer is new, coupler is ok, machine works ok with small loads only.

Be more specific   does it only spin on small loads  .... if its   a large load does the motor just  hum .....    Im kinda lost with your complaint

now the machine doesn't spin on small loads or large loads,

the timer goes to the spin cycle, but nothing happens- i get a burning smell.

coupler looks good, no humming noises, i hear the timer working.

Need to see what might be jamming the motor, tranny, something stuck between the spin basket and the tub, drive block worn out, spin basket sitting on the bottom of the tub., something in the pump....need to pull the case and look in the pump, remove the motor, jump the lid switch and see if the motor will run when off of the tranny and pump.  Put your foot on the motor when you put voltage to it by  turning the timer on in the spin to see if the motor runs or gets hot and cuts out.  If the motor is ok, check the other things.  See if you can turn the tranny shaft both ways.

I am going to try all the possibilites you mentioned, however

when the tub was filled with clothes and water, I opened the door and pushed down on the door switch with my finger while pushing clockwise on the tub and it started spinning and finishing the wash cycle.