Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Learn how to be your own tech line...

Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Stay connected with us...

Samurai on Facebook - become a fan today! Sign up for our free newsletter and keep up with all things Appliantology. Subscribe to our YouTube channel for lots of appliance repair tips and help! Follow the Samurai on Twitter and get timely morsels of Appliantological Wisdom! Subscribe to our MST Radio podcast to learn secrets of the trade.
Freeze05

Amana LEA30AW

10 posts in this topic

Hi - I have an Amana electric dryer, model LEA30AW, and when I turn the dial to set the time for a dry cycle all I get is a ticking noise. Tick tick tick, like the time is working on the cycle clock but the drum doesn't turn and there is no motor noise.

Any hints????

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

Thanks. If it was working just fine - no weird noises or anything - and then just stopped working, is one of these three options more likely than another?

Thanks for the service manual link!

Check the thermal fuse too, but the door switch seems to be a likely culprit.

I'll let you know how it goes after I play with it this weekend.

Thanks again for the replies!

well - it isn't the door switch.....

[user=41122]Freeze05[/user] wrote:

well - it isn't the door switch.....

Did you test it before you replaced it?  If they're bad, they'll read open even when actuated.  The suggestions offered by the Masters are to point you in the direction of suspects to test and confirm, not just replace a part and hope to get lucky.  Any monkey boy can do that-- but let it never be so with you, my intrepid apprentice! 

Using your volt meter test timer contacts as follows with timer set to timed dry, door closed, plugged in.

1 - L1 to L3 should read 120VAC - If no 120VAC we need to trace back to the door switch wiring.

2 - L1 to M (while pushing start switch) should read 0VAC - If 120VAC timer contact is bad

3 - M to L3 (while pushing start switch) should read 120VAC

post your results

post-11934-129045110252_thumb.jpg

post-11934-129045110593_thumb.jpg

Remove the lower panel located below the door. Put some eyeballs on the wiring for a burned connector especially the wires to the heating elements located on the back bulkhead.

With your handy dandy multimeter are you getting 120 volts to to motor when hitting push to start?