LIMITED TIME OFFER: Use code 10YEARS10 to get 10% off your Appliantology membership. Click here for more ×
Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 27 April 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, April 27 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Mini-Splits

bigasseaglesfan

bigasseaglesfan

I'm looking to start installing mini-split heat pump systems as an additional service. I like the units for the fact that they are ductless and pretty simple to install(famous last words:shock:). Has anyone had any experience with installing these units? Pricing? Time? Manufactures?ect.. Any help would be great. 

Thanks

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't install them; however, I have to work on them.  From a technicians point of view they are more hassle than they are worth.  Getting parts, getting Tech Support, getting access to even test or work on the thing is difficult to impossible.  Many times it would be faster and cheaper to kick an air handler off of the wall or replace the entire condensing unit than repair it.  I have literally waited for boards to ship in from Japan.  And so that you know....that takes a while. 

Tech support is basically "Replace the board" to which I answer "Which board?"  There are two and the answer "Well try this one and if not then replace the other."  ** ACTUAL CONVERSATION WITH MITSUBISHI SUPPORT SUWANEE GA 2009**

IF ... I F... you do a good clean install, torque the fittings with a real torque wrench,  pressure check the line sets @300 psig, pull a real vacuum below 500 microns using a micron gauge and clean pump oil that doesn't look like coffee grounds when you drain it, and you set the air handler to the correct height observing the 12' of free throw area, and use it for what it is intended for - convenience cooling (not computer rooms, not primary residential heat/cool) you have a chance.

Build in a lot of room for your warranty budget or else you will regret it in labor costs.  Do not go about it with the "Bubba Butt Crack HVAC LLC" mentality and you should be ok. 

When they work, they work great.  When they fail, the fail miserably.  Remember it ADVANCED ELECTRONICS on the name.  Repair and replacement parts costs are HUGE and you had better prepare your customer for that fact.  Mini splits are pushing the envelope of what can be done in miniturization, electrical technology, and efficiency.  It is a new art form that requires excellent troubleshooting skills and the right tools.

"Bubba Butt Crack HVAC LLC" mentality This mentality should be totaly verbotant, no matter what system you are working on.

The comp. I work for sells and installs them . I do not do any service or install of these , but I will see what I can find out. I do know the boss has two in his abode and has had no problems. But I will talk to the tech. and see what he says and what brand they are(brain went dead) .. We are in the great frozen north , but it hardly ever gets too cold or too hot for long at a time.

bigasseaglesfan

Thanks for the info so far guys. I was working on a FUJITSU unit last week and called thier tech support dept, I would have to say they were very helpful!! I This may be a unit they I would sell because I like tech support. I'm in the process of taking my EPA test so it may be a few more weeks before I  start to "Pitch" any units.  

update  -- I guess we sell amcoraire . Have no idea how many were sold. Install takes 4-5 hrs. No service calls yet - amcoraire may have a commercial company to service , they are treating me like a mushroom - feeding me bull shit and keeping me in the dark..

I am partial to the mitsubishi Mr Slim. Every component on there is made by Mitsubishi industries, right down to the last semiconductor. That means the quality control and parts availability down the road. Tech support is good, company tech reps have training seminars at the holiday inn, the even buy us lunch..that goes a long way with me.

• 2 months later...

I have installed dozens of the Daikin units and have experienced zero problems. Simple install and SEER ratings are excellent. That is what 85% of the world uses for equipment.

• 1 month later...

I prefer the Fujitsu units and the tech support is awesome. The 2 times I needed them ended up being broken control wires. No equipment failures to date and about 15 systems in operation.

• 4 weeks later...

They are widely used all over the Caribbean islands and have been for years, odd the islands  would have access to more boards or tech support. All the Japanese brands are represented. MAny / most are two or three room HVAc and have remote controls and high wall mount evaporators

Archived