Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 27 April 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, April 27 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

RUUD blowing fuse

emmerat

Hello,

I have a RUUD UGGD - 12 ERCMS gas furnace with a 4PRL-060JEZ Heat Pump. It has been off for a few weeks....haven't needed the A/C just yet. Anyway, in March, the 3 amp fuse on the internal board in the furnace blew....the system was installed 2 years ago, and I didn't hink much of it. I replaced it and everything worked fine. So, I went to start it yesterday, and nothing. I checked the fuse, and sure enough, its blown. I replaced it and it blew again immediately. Where should I start my search? Thanks for the help.

James

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Check for shorts to ground or wire to wire shorts in the t-stat wiring.  Look for abraded insulation where the t-stat wire penetrates anything sharp or metal.  Check to make sure you don't have a defective contactor that is sticking open and causing high amp draw because it cannot close. 

With the t-stat turned off, try and run the fan first.  If it doesn't blow the fuse, the run the heat, if nothing then run the AC.  Where ever it blows that is the circuit to start checking first.

Hey DKPD,

I ran new wire when we installed the units, and everything looks okay...no obvious shorts. I pulled the t-stat head off inside the house, and inserted a new fuse. Without putting the blower door on, I can press the blower door safety switch (makes sure the door is in place), and the fuse pops. Is this the contactor you're referring to?

Thanks,

James

You have a couple of options:

1.  You still have a short to ground or wire to wire short

2.  You have low voltage wiring miss wired to the board or t-stat

3.  You have a defective board

4.  You have a defective t-stat

Remove all the low volt wiring to the board and check to see if it blows - if so #3

Ohm out the t-stat wiring to ground then wire to wire  if any continuity then #1

With all t-stat wires off board and t- stat jumper wire (one by one in this order) R to G on the board, then continue with R to Y, then R to W1-W2-W3 etc.  Where it blows is the circuit to check further.  Then #3.

If the issue happens on the Y1 test, check the condensing unit contactor as part of the system check.

Attach only the R and C terminals to the board and t-stat and check if it blows.  If so then #1, #4

Attach (in this order) and test each individually G, Y1, W1.  If it blows then #4

Archived