Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 27 April 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological. 
      We have a special session planned for this one. Instead of the usual Show 'n Tell on a technical topic, we're going to post tech sheets in the comments to this Calendar Event (scroll down to see what's posted so far) and ask specific questions that can only be answered by reading the tech sheet. If you at least try to answer the questions beforehand, you'll get a lot more out of it. The tech sheet and the questions are posted in the comments section below.
      Your mission, if you should choose to accept it, is to check out the questions for each one and try to answer them ahead of time. Then come to the Dojo to see how well you did! 
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, April 27 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

1 ton LG through the wall unit leaking into room

shadow460

This is one of those with the slinger ring on it.  I cleaned both coils yesterday and vacuumed out the metal pan.  There's a plastic pan under the evaporator coil that's still filling up, and sometimes when the fan kicks off, it runs over that, over the metal pan, and down the wall.

When I pulled the unit yesterday, the wooden support was totally soaked, and there was water running down the wall.  Still, the pan under the evap still fills up, and if you shut the unit completely off, the water will run over the edge of both pans and out of the unit.

The top of the unit is about 1/4 to 3/8 inch further into the wall than the bottom.  This tells me that the unit is, in fact, leaned slightly back in relation to the wall.

The unit also makes the random click and pop here and there.  It sounds like stuff (besides water) is hitting the fan blades.  It was a whole lot worse before I cleaned the coils.

Is the unit designed to run with the plastic drain pan under the evaporator full, or is there some way for condensate to run from that pan to where the condenser fan can catch it?  Most AC units I have worked with don't run with the pan full at all.  Given the proper lean, clean fan blades, a clean filter, and clean coils, how does one stop the unit leaking into the room?

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is a drain that takes the water from the  evaperator area to the drain pan outside where it either evaperates or goes over the overflow, either this drain is clogged with dirt and/or the unit id not tilted back enough, you need a half inch to inch drop of the rear of the unit to the outside, suggesting you find the drain and be sure it is clear and be sure the unit has the proper tilt to the back...

The unit must be really laboring to produce water like that, should be around 500-600 sq ft, When I take them apart, I will drill 3 or 4 small holes in the bottom of the metal pan out beyond the condenser to aid in draining

My apartment is 450 square feet. I pretty much handpicked this unit for my apartment, then the management started buying them for several apartments. I have thought of just letting the maintenance person deal with it, but the unit is relatively new and I don't want them to switch it for one of the old heaps they have here.

I also thought of taking it down to the car wash and cleaning it out that way. I don't have a dolly to get it downstairs, though.

In all the time I've done apartment and residential maintenance I have never been able to find the drains between the evaporator and the metal pan in these newer units. I don't doubt they are there.

I usually drill out the pans in the back, too, but one of the FAQs here says not to if the unit has a ring. Also that doesn't help drain the pan around the evaporator. If the whole thing clogs up, though, that's part of the solution.

I could link you to the Service Manual if I had a model number ..

It's a moot point now. The tapping noise got on my nerves, so I pulled it again...and I dropped the thing. I should have known not to try anything like this when I'm tired.

It still runs but its bent so badly that the condenser blade is hitting the shroud. I don't have my tools here or the patience to straighten the frame out, so I'm going to let the management deal with it.

Since I do the same kind of work every day at a different set of apartments, don't I get the chance to sit back and let someone else fix what's wrong in my place once in a while? :)

I've never accidentally dropped an air unit before. Dropping my own makes me feel quite stupid. :O At least it landed kinda soft and didn't wreck the wall or the floor.

Archived