LIMITED TIME OFFER: Use code 10YEARS10 to get 10% off your Appliantology membership. Click here for more ×
Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 27 April 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, April 27 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Condenser cleaning (spine fin)

crosstalk

Hello.  I diligently followed this post on spine fin cleaning: http://applianceguru.com/forum13/15236.html

The advice in that thread is good, but I had a couple follow up questions:

1. How do you remove the side panels (hail guards)?  After removing the first panel near the electrical components (which is screwed on), I couldn't figure out how to get the corner piece to release so I gave up, but I would like to figure this out for next time.  These panels interlock, so it seems like they should be removed in sequence starting at the corner.

2. I tried to avoid spraying the capacitor and contactor, but they probably got a little wet (should have covered them).  Anyway, the capacitor case was already a bit rusty--should I replace it as preventive maintenance?

3. What hose end sprayer are people using that can do 4:1 concentration?  The Ortho dial-n-spray does 16:1 at best, so I used a pump sprayer for the Triple D.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Take the top off of your Trane and some of the hail guards pull straight up and out of a locking channel.  Check for screws in the bottom that may be holding them.  Yes they are sort of a jig saw puzzle.

Go to Ace Hardware and in the garden section you will find hose end sprayers with different colored cap/nozzle assemblies.  The color tells you the X to Y ratio.  If they cant be had in store check them online and you can find them.  They are not adjustable, they are fixed ratio hence the different colors to distinguish them.

Water on the two components isn't bad, just let them dry out.

The only reason to change the capacitor is if it is outside of 10% of the listed name value.  Rusted cases don't hurt a thing.

Whoever that guy was that gave that outstanding and stellar advice from the link you posted is a virtual HVAC phenom ;)

Thanks again.  I'll check at Ace for a different hose end sprayer.  On the Trane (actually American Standard in my case) hail guards, I tried pulling straight up, but there seemed to be some kind of clip going through a slot at the bottom of the corner piece.  I wasn't sure how to get it to release, so I stopped trying to pull it up.

American Standard is to Trane as say Toyota is to Lexus.  Virtually the same machine produced by the Trane Corporation.  If you don't want to risk it....aim the stream of water upwards to get under the fins of the hail guard.  With a hose end sprayer you will flood the area with enough soap and water that it will not make much of a difference from pulling the hail guards.

Archived