Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Learn how to be your own tech line…

Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Stay connected with us...

Samurai on Facebook - become a fan today! Sign up for our free newsletter and keep up with all things Appliantology. Subscribe to our YouTube channel for lots of appliance repair tips and help! Follow the Samurai on Twitter and get timely morsels of Appliantological Wisdom! Subscribe to our MST Radio podcast to learn secrets of the trade.
fred_perkins

Amana Oven - ignitor lights, burner starts heating, then entire unit powers off!

8 posts in this topic

Amana gas range, model ACS3350.   A few seconds after pressing "Bake" button and setting temperature, ignitor lights up just fine and amp draw is within range.  About 20 seconds later, gas starts flowing (hiss is easily heard) and burner lights with steady blue flame.  Ignitor STAYS ON as oven heats.

After about a minute (heat usually gets up to around 300 F), a "click" sound is heard and then the entire unit powers itself off!  Ignitor goes dark, LED display goes dark, and about 3 seconds later the gas stops flowing (hissing stops). 

Breaker does NOT trip, and the unit will turn itself back on (clock flashing on display) after a minute or so.  HELP!  Suggestions?

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

Sounds like your oven controller (EOC) is kickin up a fuss

No F codes are ever displayed.  Should I bother checking sensor resistance (at room temp)?

[user=53122]fred_perkins[/user] wrote:

After about a minute (heat usually gets up to around 300 F), a "click" sound is heard and then the entire unit powers itself off! 

Look for some charred components in the controller

Can't tell whether autolatch assembly was replaced or not, but customer says that the controller was replaced once, in 2005 or 2006. 

I find no charred components whatsoever on either PCB of the controller that is installed presently. 

There are four electrolytic capacitors: 3300 microF, 470 microF, another 470 microF, and a 100 microF.  All look clean, but haven't checked any of them.

Believe it or not, the problem was actually caused by a flaky wall outlet!  I happened to jiggle the wall plug and noticed that the LED display powered on and off.  Tried another nearby outlet, and VOILA -- no more mysterious shutoffs!

Apparently, as the oven would heat up, some heat lost through the back panel would cause a main power break at the wall outlet.  I'm advising the customer to have an electrician replace the outlet and check the wiring in the wall.  

Good Job!!