Learn how to be your own tech line...

Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Stay connected with us...

Samurai on Facebook - become a fan today! Sign up for our free newsletter and keep up with all things Appliantology. Subscribe to our YouTube channel for lots of appliance repair tips and help! Follow the Samurai on Twitter and get timely morsels of Appliantological Wisdom! Subscribe to our MST Radio podcast to learn secrets of the trade.
  • Announcements

• Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Webinar Recordings Index Page   10/03/2017

On-demand appliance repair training videos for Professional Appliantologist members Over 30 hours (and growing!) of original, high quality appliance training webinars developed and given by yours truly are at your fingertips, on topics you won't find anywhere else. Fill in those knowledge gaps, strengthen those areas of uncertainty, and boost your skills. Watch on mobile or desktop at your convenience whenever, wherever.  Ultra Short Primer on Basic Electricity, Circuits, Ohm's Law, and Schematic Reading (Length: 1:04:48) Basic Refrigerator Troubleshooting (Length: 1:10:45) Schematic Reading Workshop, 10/2015 (Length 1:19:08) Troubleshooting Strategies for Computer-Controlled Appliances (Length: 48:34) Semiconductors and PN Junctions (Length: 1:04:37) Appliance Temperature Sensing Devices & Technology (Length: 1:27:33) Voltage Measurements, Meters, Ghost Voltages, and Triac-controlled Neutrals (Length: 1:29:32) Troubleshooting with Tech Sheets, Part 1, 4/2016 (Length: 1:09:26) Troubleshooting with Tech Sheets, Part 2, 4/2016 (Length: 1:21:11) Tech Sheet Review, 4/9/2016: Bosch Speed Cooker, Amana Refrigerator, GE Glass Cooktop Range (Length: 1:22:58) Pulse Width Modulated (PWM) Switches used in Samsung Switched Mode Power Supplies (SMPS) (Length: 27:07) PWM Computer Cooling Fan in a Whirlpool Refrigerator (Length: 14:53) Understanding AC Split-phase Household Power Supplies (Length: 52:41) Troubleshooting a Samsung Electric Dryer without Disassembly using Live Tests and the Schematic (Length: 22:47) Troubleshooting a Bosch Dishwasher No-Heat Problem using the Schematic and Live Tests (Length: 15:38) Linear Motors and Linear Compressors (Length: 55:54) Bi-directional PSC Drive Motor Systems in Whirlpool VM Washers (Length: 56:52) Appliance Service Call Structure and Troubleshooting Strategies (Length: 1:00:16) The Ten Step Troubleshooting Tango and Workshop Exercises (Length: 1:35:39) Troubleshooting Ten-Step Tango Advanced Workshop (Length: 1:32:06) Ten-Step Tango Troubleshooting Workshop: Refrigerators (Length: 1:35:57) Whirlpool Duet Washer Schematic Analysis & Whirlpool Dryer Moisture Sensor System (Length: 1:03:04) Neutral Vs. Ground, Inverter Microwave, Digital Communications, Loading Down in DC loads, and more! (Length: 1:14:45) Gas Oven Service Call After a Parts Changing Monkey (Length: 36:04) AFCI and GFCI Circuit Protection Technology (Length: 41:26) Troubleshooting Samsung Refrigerators and more (Length: 1:29:58) 3-way Valves and Dual Evaporator Refrigerators (Length: 1:15:45) Split-Phase Compressors and PTC Start Devices (Length: 1:11:57) Gas Dryer Ignition Systems (Length: 53:50) Refrigerator Sealed System Thermodynamics, Part 1 (Length: 43:07) Refrigerator Sealed System Thermodynamics, Part 2 (Length 1:09:09) To access these webinars and all the other info-goodies here at Appliantology, become a Professional Appliantologist today. If you need cost-effective, time-flexible, state-of-the-art appliance technical training, check out the Master Samurai Tech Academy.
    • Samurai Appliance Repair Man

[Webinar] Samurai's Sealed System Sleuthing Secrets - 10/30/2017 @7PM ET   10/19/2017

Having laid some theoretical groundwork in the last webinar, we're going to focus on practical considerations in this one. That means quick n’ dirty techniques for diagnosing sealed system problem using strategically chosen and skillfully interpreted temperature measurements.  Review homework from the first session on 10-2-2017. Home refrigerator practical design and operating rules-of-thumb useful for troubleshooting Practical application exercises Troubleshooting scenario exercise Techniques for making system temperature measurements for determining superheat and subcooling Sealed system diagnosis homework assignment (to be reviewed in the next webinar in this series) If you attended the first webinar in this series, this is your payday! We’re going to apply that keen, penetrating insight you now possess into money- and time-saving shortcuts you can use to diagnose real-world refrigeration systems on service calls. See this calendar event for more details                   
Becker135

Bosch dishwasher model SHV4803

Becker135

Can't locate diagnostice codes to activate or check on problems.  Other Bosch activation inputs don't work, just result in flashing Reg wash and Power scrub lights.

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

To enter test programs, hold down Power Scrub and Regular Wash buttons, then turn dishwasher on by pushing on/off button. Push buttons above a 2nd time to start test program. Allow program to finish to see fault codes. Turn dishwasher off to exit test program.

Becker135

I've done exactly that.  A couple of times.  Both times the two lights contined to flash for 10 minutes or more with no changes.  I assumed this model might have a different diagnosis code.

The problem I'm trying to diagnose is that he unit doesn't pump water with enough pressure to spin the top wash arm.  I bit of water is coming out, but I assume the pressure isn't sending enough into the feeder tube.  I removed the feeder tube going to the upper rack and the water is bubleing in the bottom, so some is being pumped in, but it doesn't appear to have much pressure.  The unit makes a different sound now upon start up, perhaps a slight, cycling grinding sound.  Any ideas on isolating the problem?

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Based on your low pressure and noise report, you may need a new circulation pump. Fun job... NOT! The entire dishwasher comes out and gets laid on its side to R&R the circ pump. I PMed you the service manual.

Becker135

Thanks, Master.  I'll read, and try the diagnosis after work tonight.

Until then, I'm just another boy with a screwdriver.

RegUS_PatOff

.... and the D/W water level is OK ?

Becker135

[user=3641]RegUS_PatOff[/user], 

I'm not sure.  I ran the diagnostic from the Manual and got a Heater fault error, so don't know if it would be the circ pump given that fault.  Water flows in the tub, but not with any pressure or authority.  It also drains out, so the small pump is fine.

RegUS_PatOff

The operating water level of the dishwasher is at approximately the upper edge of the filter basket.

Becker135

Then yes, it gets up to that level.  If I open it quickly mid cycle, the water is flowing out of the holes that connect to the filler tube (removed at the time) and it is exactly at that level.  But with filler tube in place it doesn't have enough pressure to spin the arms, and clean dishes.