Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Lost with the new appliances? The Samurai teaches you Circuit Fu…

Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Stay connected with us...

Samurai on Facebook - become a fan today! Sign up for our free newsletter and keep up with all things Appliantology. Subscribe to our YouTube channel for lots of appliance repair tips and help! Follow the Samurai on Twitter and get timely morsels of Appliantological Wisdom! Subscribe to our MST Radio podcast to learn secrets of the trade.
dave42

Subzero says vacuum condenser

10 posts in this topic

I have a Subzero 690S refrigerator bought in 2001. Several months ago, I saw a message on the control unit that said vacuum condenser. I opened the upper vent area and vacuumed the dust off the condenser (radiator-looking thing). I then reset the display by turning the unit off and then on. However, it immediately comes on and says "vacuum condenser". Is there something else I should do? I called Subzero and they recommended having a service person come look at it. It is otherwise working fine.Thanks.

Dave

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

Condenser fan running?

I will check when I get home. Wouldn't the refrigerator be acting strangly (overheating, etc) if the fan wasn't working? Does it run whenever the fridge is running?

[user=2850]dave42[/user] wrote:

Wouldn't the refrigerator be acting strangly (overheating, etc) if the fan wasn't working?

Uh, it IS acting strangely-- I believe that's why you posted this in the forum. :goofus:

Does it run whenever the fridge is running?

Whenever the compressor runs, to be precise.

The vaccuum condensor light just means one or more compressor in the unit has excessive run time, you need to have this unit checked, your compressor(s) are running too long for some reason so might be a sealed systen problem developing. 

I checked, and the fan is indeed running. I will call the service guy. I was hoping it may have been something I could easily rectify. Thanks.

Welcome....;)

Well, after really vacuuming the condenser yesterday and resetting the unit, the warning has remained off, so I will wait until it reappears before calling the service guy.

By the way, I thought I would give some feedback on this as I noticed I had not followed up.

In case anyone has a Subzero with this problem, this is a very common problem with Subzeroes. The warning came back on, and it meant there was something wrong with our sealed system....some kind of tiny leak or something.

The repairman fixed it under warantee but said this is some defect with Subzeroes that is well known.

Thanks for the feed back, given your experience I had my service guy look at it. My Sub Zero is about 10 years old and had never given me any trouble. So when it the warning lit up I felt something was up. However being cheap I might have tried to vacuum it and wait.

Result:  My Sub Zero was leaking and needed a new evaporator coil.

you may have save me a bigger bill later.