Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 30 March 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, March 30 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Electric water heater performance drop

skintdigit

Wise ones,

I have a 20-year old electric 60 gal single element COLD water heater in my home. Yes, it is ancient by heater tank standards, but it ain't leakin' yet and I replaced the T&P relief valve a few years ago and installed a new element at that time. My wife has recently complained of running out of the hot stuff mid-shampoo. I took a quick shower and measured hot water outlet temps before and after. Sure enough, after a 10 minute shower, outlet temps went from 120 to  112 degrees. Pulled the covers, checked tstat settings and had a peek around. Powered it up again and listened....when the element is energized, it makes a quiet popping sound. So, my guess is that one of two things have happened. Either the dip tube has cracked off or been severely holed, so the incoming cold water is directed to the top of the water column instead of the bottom, or the tank is so full of mineral sediment that the element(remember, there's just one) is surrounded and doesn't have free water flow around it, so the tstat shuts down early from the localized hot water "stuck" in the sediment and, therefore, takes a long while to heat the entire tank.  So, I'magonna check the dip tube and slap a new anode rod, new element, and T&P in there while I'm at it and see how long I can make this sucker last. My question, finally, is how do I best remove the accumulated sediment from the tank once I've cranked out the old element. Last time I did this, I made an attachment out of a curved piece of 1/2" pvc pipe, attached it to my shop vac hose, and stuck the pipe through the lower element hole.  I've heard of using hydrogen peroxide to descale, too. Any pointers on this method (how much peroxide to add at what concentration, etc)? Or should I just stick with the old shop vac method?

SD

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

[user=6564]skintdigit[/user] wrote:

... dip tube has cracked off or been severely holed, so the incoming cold water is directed to the top of the water column instead of the bottom ...

my guess...

Besides replacing the Dip Tube, etc..

Couldn't you just turn the water supply back on and it would "flush" the sediment out the Drain Valve at the bottom of the tank ..

Hello, my tepid friend. May I suggest that you consider replacing your energy-hog Ameedican water heater with a nice Muslim-built unit? Here is the model we use at our tent and we have been quite satisfied with it:

Muslimdemo.jpg

RegUS, have tried that on severely sedimented heaters before. It clears some of the sediment, but really just blows a channel through the stuff enough to allow a full flow of water, but leaves the tank bottom still choked with the stuff. I'd like to descale it pretty thoroughly while I'm at it.

Moostafa. Alas, my good neighbors are all "new adopters" and have snapped up all of the high tech heaters you have so kindly recommended. So many use these now that, in fact, the local supply of Union Jack fuel has been severely depleted....perhaps beyond the ability of the resource to replenish itself.

SD

[user=6564]skintdigit[/user] wrote:

but leaves the tank bottom still choked with the stuff.

more of a problem with Gas Water Heaters .. (flame is from the bottom)

Archived