LIMITED TIME OFFER: Use code 10YEARS10 to get 10% off your Appliantology membership. Click here for more ×
Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 27 April 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, April 27 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Getting very frustrated with Maytag SxS (MZD2766GE)

ggibeau

OK, I have the repair manual for this model fridge, and I am still having one hell of a time trying to get to the ADC to test it. The plastic light cover does not want to slide forward no matter how hard I try. It does not look like it is attached, but it does not want to slide. Any hints before I break it?

Thanks a ton.

George

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Team Samurai

George, these can be a little tricky. Make doubly sure all fasteners are out... I think there a couple in the back wall, too. Then, to remove the tray, you'll see two little half-holes in the back of the tray next to the back wall of the fridge-- these are for your fingers. Stick your fingers in and pull down gently while pulling forward on the tray. Comes right out.

Thanks a ton. I found the finger holes and did a little more inspection. I noticed that you need to pull down on the plastic to clear 2 little plastic tabs that then enable the plastic shroud to slide forward. I was finally able to get to the ADC and tried shorting between TST and L1 - anyway, I did not notice the defrosting coils coming on - Is there a test point I can measure to see if there is any current draw (or test continuity for possible fried circuits/components).

Thanks again for offering this great service...

George

• Team Samurai

If the evaporator coil was still frosted up when you did this test, then it's safe to assume that the defrost thermostat was closed and should have allowed the heaters to fire... if the ADC was sending current. Since this didn't happen, the ADC is bad. Go ahead and replace it:

http://www.repairclinic.com/referral.asp?R=154&N=948430

If you wanted to, you could check for voltage at the defrost thermostat. No voltage again means a bad ADC.

Received the new ADC today - it came enclosed in a white plastic housing. The one in the fridge is simply the circuit board, with a weird shaped clear plastic standoff on the bottom side where the ADC screws into the light cover shroud.

Question - should I remove the new circuit board from the clam-shell enclosure it shipped in and install it similar to the one it is replacing, or should I leave it in the white plastic enclosure?

Thanks,

George

• Team Samurai

Leave the clam-enclosure-- the engineers added that to protect the circuit board from condensation, they think that's what was causing the ADC boards to fail in such high numbers.

OK, will do. Thanks for the quick response. Once more into the breech - here goes nothing ;-)

George

• Team Samurai

Piece of pie.  Go git 'em!

New part installed, fridge side reassembled - now we will wait and see if the defroster works as designed. If not, then I guess the next item up is the defroster/thermostat combo ;-). Will wait with baited breath to hear the sound of sizzle..

• Team Samurai

Give it a day or so.  You will learn to trust again, Grasshopper.

[user=1]Samurai Appliance Repair Man[/user] wrote:

Leave the clam-enclosure-- the engineers added that to protect the circuit board from condensation, they think that's what was causing the ADC boards to fail in such high numbers.

Samurai, the first one of these ADC boards in a Maytag SxS that I replaced, I couldn't seem to get the ADC to fit back into the spot in the clamshell enclosure so I took it out of the enclosure and installed the orginal standoff.

Is there a trick to getting it to fit with the enclose, like maybe not screwing it back to the mounting post and just letting the clamshell enclosed ADC just sit in the area where it used to be screwed to?????????

• Team Samurai

Great question, Willie! I forgot to talk about that. I think the engineers figured that it's more important to have the extra protection on the board than it is to screw it down in a stationary, non-vibrating, environment. Once the control panel is re-assembled, it's going to stay put anyway.

And, no, it doesn't lay down flat in its compartment with the clamshell on. Again, no biggie.

The clam-shell enclosure seemed to fit very snugly in the depression where the clamless-shelled original ADC was mounted - in fact, I hope I don't have to take it back out ;-) so no worries there of it wiggling out.

George

Thanks Samurai, that's good to know for the next time I do one. I'm sure I will be seeing another although that one is the only one I've had to deal with so far.

Archived