Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

• Upcoming Events

• 30 March 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, March 30 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Repair Manual for Tappan Fabulous 400 Model 402-3E

onlysumr

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• onlysumr

• RegUS_PatOff

• Perel

Top Posters In This Topic

[user=62931]onlysumr[/user] wrote:

...  Fixing seems cheaper :shock:
maybe not  :groucho:

seems to be about 1968 ..

I don't think you'll find any manuals for it..

maybe parts ..

what seems to be the problem ?

The only problem right now is that one burner (a “set ‘n forget”) has no modulation .. it’s either off or full on. The wiring all seems to function, but is old, with lots of connector corrosion, so I’m considering re-wiring, especially the drawer cable which flexes every time the stove is used.  I'd just like to research all I can before jumping into a project.

• 4 weeks later...

Fabulous old stove. A piece of Americana well worth preserving IMO.

The original parts are no longer available, so you can't get exact replacements for any of the fancy electronic bits. That means the "set and forget" thermostat module isn't available.

However, it's easy to put a standard burner or oven element into these old stoves. If the fancy knob for that burner is busted, just put a regular knob in. The technology for coil-burner electric stoves really hasn't advanced since the 1950s - in fact, the standard cheap/basic stoves you see in almost every apartment use almost all the same repair parts as 1950s stoves.

Ask around on antique appliance forums. There are collectors who have these things - for instance, I happen to have a Frigidaire Flair service manual from the same time period - but for most repairs you don't need them. The wiring diagram will be inside the unit somewhere and that's really all you need.

I did write this assuming this is an all-electric model. Apparently the Tappan 400 also came in gas; in that case it would be just as easy since basic gas stove parts are just as near-universal.

Thanks for the advice, Perel. There's actually a dealer in Fontana, CA who has been putting up parts on eBay, so maybe I'll get lucky.