Click here to check out our on-demand appliance repair training webinars.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 30 March 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, March 30 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Whirlpool Water Heater FG1F3030T3NOV

reputation_pos.gif Hi

The pilot light wont stay lit on my Whirlpool (yeah Whirlpool sucks I know) gas water heater. I have had to replace the TC (thermocouple) before, so I went to Lowe's to get a new one. Unfortunately they told me that Whirlpool has discontinued making the TC for my unit (which was left hand thread) but now has a conversion kit which is free, and uses an adapter to make it right hand thread, and uses a thermal switch.

I replaced the old parts and installed the new which consisted of a new TC and pilot line and gas line. The pilot would still not stay on so I called Whirlpool who had me check the reset on the thermal switch and bypass the wires to the TC, still no go. They then said it was most likely the gas control valve. So I ordered a new one of those which wasn't free and installed it.

This still didn't work I can't get my pilot light to stay lit. I have checked the amp draw on the TC which is supposed to be 12MA but seems to give me 3.4? maybe I am not checking it right...(I have 3 TC's all brand new and none of them work)

I have checked the flow to the pilot light, that seems to be good I have a nice bright blue flame. The flame seems to be making good contact with the thermocouple.

So as of right now I have:

1. A new TC

2. A new gas control valve

3. Everything new...except the burner.

What am I doing wrong or missing that is not letting me get this water heater to work?..HELP!

P.S. will the burner having a small crack in it cause the pilot to not stay lit?

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

[user=64102]Lo_skillz[/user] wrote:

... the TC which is supposed to be 12MA but seems to give me 3.4? maybe I am not checking it right ...

I'm not sure .. but is it far enough into the Flame ?

Whirlpool Water Heater FG1F3030T3NOV made by AMERICAN WATERHEATERS

FG1F3030T3NOV Parts List & Diagrams at SearsPartsDirect

It looks close enough but I can't really see into there very well..is the flame adjustable or would I have to bend the bracket? I have it seated all the way down into the hole.

This is really frustrating me...everything is new and it doesn't work.

I don't know how that system works..

maybe someone else on here may eventually log-on and answer ..

WOOT! I got it working! Yeah I had to bend the bracket to where the TC and the pilot tube were almost touching and readjust the igniter a little and it fired right up...POS.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Archived