Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

• Upcoming Events

• 30 March 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, March 30 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Down Time Tonite for Yet Another Server Migration

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

• Team Samurai

The forum will be shut down tonight at 8pm ET for about an hour while we migrate to a new server. This is the dedicated server that you may have heard me mention before.

Right now, this site is hosted on a shared server with about a hundred other websites. Occasionally, this creates problems and also restricts our room to grow. Moving to a dedicated server means that the server is dedicated to my hosting needs: only this site and my other site, Fixitnow.com, are hosted there. In fact, Fixitnow.com was migrated there last night and it's running zippier than ever. The downside is that it's about a ten-fold increase in my hosting costs. But, dammit, my Grasshoppers are worth it!

So, some short downtime this evening and we should see the pay off here with faster page load speeds.

If you have any questions, lemme know!

Samurai

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Samurai Appliance Repair Man

• RegUS_PatOff

[user=1]Samurai Appliance Repair Man[/user] wrote:

... for about an hour ...

rofl.gif

• Team Samurai

I know, I know but we have to keep a positive spin on these things. :buddha:

• Team Samurai

OK, false start. My server dude wasn't ready so I opened the forum back up until he's ready to do the transfer. Party on!

• Team Samurai

Looks like it's not gonna happen tonight afterall. Maybe tomorrow. Will post updates.

• Team Samurai

And we made it! We're now rockin' on a new (literally brand new) dedicated server. Should see faster page loads and mo bettah all the way around.

The migration ended up taking more like two and a half hours instead of an hour but what's a few minutes among friends? My Superbo Nunero Uno Server Dude Jim got it all in the groove.

BTW, if you need not just a good but really awesome webhost, check out Data1Systems. Jim Hale is The Server Dude. He's the developer of UltraBB, the forum software package that runs this site. He also hosts both this site and my other site, Fixitnow.com, on a dedicated server at his datacenter. But he has shared server packages, too. Check 'em out:

http://data1systems.com/

• Team Samurai

[user=3641]RegUS_PatOff[/user] wrote:

http://applianceguru.com

OK works now

but not link form emails and Yahoo, Google, ect unless www is added ...  ? ?

Weirdness! I know from past experience with this stuff that DNS propagation can play weird tricks on URLs.

Just heard back from Jim-- he says this is purely DNS propagation. Will probably resolve itself by morning. If not, please let me know!

• Team Samurai

WhooWEEEE! Wild ride tonight, folks. Sorry about the down time. Looks like Reg had this one pegged.

Just when I thought everything was peachy, along comes midnight and WHAM!

Why midnight? I dunno, I rectum compooter code must turn to pumpkins 'cuz the site wasn't loading anymore, just a blank white page.

Jim had already gone to dreamland because we both thought it was mission accomplished. That left yours so very freaking truly to poke around and tweak settings until I could get the site to pull up again. Sumpin still ain't raht but m'main man Jim will get it straightened out tomorrow... which is really today.

Dayyam, been a long night. :snooze:

• Team Samurai

So, what's everyone think? How're we running? Better, worse, same? Any bugs? Would love to hear any feedback or comments!