Click here to check out this guide.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 30 March 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, March 30 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Magic Chef Oven woes

Flash2

Help!  I have a 13 year old Magic Chef oven model 9475 VRV that I have replaced the board and ignitor in the past.  The new problem I have is that whenever I "dial in" the temperature for example 425 deg F, it only takes a few minutes to get up to 425 deg F, but when I look at the actual temperature inside the oven it is only reading 250 deg F(correct temp).  After 15 minutes, the oven display flashes F5 and beeps.  I have to clear the display by pushing the Stop/Clear button, which shuts off the oven.  I then have to turn the oven back on and re-set the temp on the display.  It will then shutdown again and again.

I am just guessing that the thermostat or thermocouple is bad and the oven is going "over temperature"?  Any ideas???  My wife and kids are about to kill me about this oven!!!  No biscuits in the morning!  Please help!!!

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Team Samurai

Hi Flash,

Definitely ohm out the oven sensor. This page explains more about that:

http://fixitnow.com/2003/02/appliance-tip-of-day-oven-temperature.htm

I have had customers who've had to replace multiple boards on these ovens during the ownership life. I wouldn't be surprised if the board turned out to be bad bad.. again! Should that be the case, I recommend replacing both the board and the sensor since the sensor is inexpensive relative to the board.

Thanks for the response.  The oven has been acting goofy:yikes:!!  I can still use the broiler on low without any problems, but during middle of the day the blower fan will come on for no good reason.  The blower will then go off at any varying intervals.  Since the blower may stay on, during normal operation at a certain temperatures, even when the oven has been turned off - to cool the down the oven, the sensor may have an "offset" making the ECR THINK the oven is hot.  I went to your link and will check out the sensor tonight.

dom mor arigato!:D

• Team Samurai

[user=3212]Flash2[/user] wrote:

but during middle of the day the blower fan will come on for no good reason. The blower will then go off at any varying intervals.

This is an important clue because it usually means a bad control panel. Another common problem with these ranges is that one of the buttons on the membrane switch in the control panel wears through and the humidity in the air can intermittently make contact and activate a function.

Check that sensor and let me know whatcha find.

Yes, I checked the sensor and it ohmed out at 1060 ohms, just where it should be!!  However, I believe I did find the problem.  When I pulled the sensor out, the plastic connector was "fried" crispy!!:yikes:  Evidently, the plastic plugs got too hot with age and heat, and crumbled.  I stripped back the wires on the sensor and wiring harness, connected them back together with ceramic wire nuts.  I re-assembled the oven and fired that "baby" up.  I made muffins for the kids this morning, perfectly!!

Thanks oh Great One for your help!!:dude:

Flash

• Team Samurai

You absolutely did find the problem! Nice troubleshootin', Hoss! :rocketman:

Archived