Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Isn’t it time to know what you don’t know?

Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Stay connected with us...

Samurai on Facebook - become a fan today! Sign up for our free newsletter and keep up with all things Appliantology. Subscribe to our YouTube channel for lots of appliance repair tips and help! Follow the Samurai on Twitter and get timely morsels of Appliantological Wisdom! Subscribe to our MST Radio podcast to learn secrets of the trade.
warnergt

Kenmore Refrigerator - bottom of door collapsed?

66 posts in this topic

I think whirlpool is depending on the foam to keep the door rigid. They keep making the steel thinner, and the door shelves bigger. The two trends seem to have reached the failure point. I think they will be replacing many doors.

Nick 

PS  excellent pictures and a fine home repair job.

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

Though not as severe, I am also having the same problem.  It appears that the nylon or plastic washer set atop the part has disintergrated most of the way.  There is still a small piece that keeps me from allowing the door to close automatically.  I now must lift the door 1/4" to seat properly.  Does the replacement part really cost hundreds of dollars?!?  Not that I am swimming in cash, but it appears better to buy a brand new unit with fresh refrigerant than repair my 9 year old (estimation- it came with the house) unit.

I was going to try to rig it with a couple C clips and a fiber washer or two to lift the door.  Nothing as fancy as the previous post.  But after reviewing these posts, I am ready to run to another manufacturer.

Am I out of my mind?

COME ON GUYS, Help us help you....... Post a model# with your question then we can do a little research to see what you are actually dealing with.........OK???????

Sorry.  My ignorance is really going to come shining through now.  Where does one find the medel number?  The numbers I can find on the unit say it is a Kenmore 24.  Side by side.  23.6 cubic feet.  There is a sticker on the back of the unit that says 9514710, Run 2818, White 0379.  Again, the unit is at least 9 years old.

Please let me know if any of these numbers help.

The model/serial tag should be in the food compartment on either the right or left wall.  On the older units it was above the toe panel down by the bottom door hinge where the door gasket would hit.   Your model number is 363.9514710, the 363 means it is made by G.E. not  Whirlpool.  I would suspect you might just need to replace your door cam risers as these wear out and break, not letting your door close properly.  This is normal wear, unless you let it go too long and let it damage the bottom of your door. Take a look at the assembly above the door support below the door, bet you will see the black riser is worn or broken...Sears shows the freezer side is WR13X0615 , the food side  is WR13X0614, both go to WR13X10020 so looks as both side come as a kit, this includes the bottom hinge and cam...Pegi

Model number help here.

I have the same problem with the door on my Kenmore Elite Refrigerator that I bought in the beginning of 2004. 

Model: 106.54602300

Serial: SR0244278

We first noticed the door on the refrigerator side was shorter than the freezer door by about 1/2" then my wife saw a crack at the bottom of the refrigerator door and was horrified to find that the hinge had broken through the plastic into the foam insulation of the door.

Before I had looked closely, I thought I could just replace the plastic piece which kind of raises the door as it opens, I guess to make it shut by itself as it goes back down.  Then I saw the whole door would basically have to be replaced to fix it.  We are worried about our 5 year old son or my pregnant wife being smashed by this heavy door if it drops down enough for the top hinge to come out. 

Front-view of corner.  (Sorry it's a bit blurry)

refrigerator%20problem1.jpg

Side view:

refrigerator%20problem2.jpg

Call Sears and raise Hell if nice does not work, they have to replace this door, now!!!  And for free, I would insist!!!

I also have a Kenmore Elite side by side model 106 with the door issue. Sears won't even talk to us and we've called everyone there. I think we should consider a leagl suit against Sears!:X

I bought my Kenmore ELITE side-by-side (106.55604400) on 5/1/2005. On 6/1/2005,the bottom of the door looks exactly like yours. And yes, my door is getting lower & lower. Unfortunately, my freezer door has the same issue. Looking at your fix… Thanks for the idea! I will do the same. I agree… load distribution is the issue.

R/Dipak

[user=2910]Dipak[/user] wrote:

I bought my Kenmore ELITE side-by-side (106.55604400) on 5/1/2005. On 6/1/2005,the bottom of the door looks exactly like yours. And yes, my door is getting lower & lower. Unfortunately, my freezer door has the same issue. Looking at your fix… Thanks for the idea! I will do the same. I agree… load distribution is the issue.

R/Dipak

Did you really purchase this unit new from Sears on 5/1/2005 or did you mean 2004?????

If you just purchased it make Sears come out an fix it correctly, you shouldn't have to muck around with a repair like this on a 3 month old refrigerator.

On second thought, why even accept a repair -- Make them give you a new one -- There is diffinitely a problem with these units but 3 months and already broken is crazy!!!!!

Sorry… I meant to type 2004.

I spoke to the local Sears Service Manager and the response was to replace the door at my cost.

R/Dipak

Unfortunitly that's the normal kind of response your will get from Sears once the warranty period is up, they really don't care about customer service!!!!!! (I don't think they even know what customer service is).

I have the same Problem with my refrigerator and after six months of phone calls and e-mails they agreed to replace both doors. The repairman originaly blamed it on rough handling, do to a move we made, The fridge was one month out of warranty but since i complained only one month past. My doors were ordered last week. I'll keep you posted if they show up

I have a very similar problem with a Kenmore Elite refrigerator (model #72202201) which is a top freezer model.  It's been installed 2 1/2 years.  I noticed a oily substance leaking from the door about a month ago, and then last week, it came off the bottom hinge.  There are bits of white plastic that have broken off as well.  My belief is that that there is something in the manufacturing process (blow in foam, perhaps?) that left some kind of a solvent in the door cavity which dissolved the plastic in the bottom of the door.

Cost of the door replacement $650 for the door, $150 for labor.  Sears Response to complaint?  Too bad, so sad.  Our of warranty, but because we "value you as a customer", we are prepared to offer you a $50 gift card...

MR

WE cannot stress eough, BUY EXTENDED WARRANTYS on everything you buy these days...

We are contemplating buying a Sears Kenmore Elite side by side 23 cu ft.  Sears Number 463 644 322, model number is not listed on the website.  Please note, this is also a Canadian Sears number as posted on sears.ca.  I have not been able to find any reviews on this model yet.  Is there a comparable American version so I can read the reviews on those?  Also, how can I find out who manufacturers this product?

Thanks for your help!

This model number was posted earlier in this thread for a Kenmore Elite, 106.54202300, these are made by Whirlpool.

I had  similar issue with a 106 54602 Kenmore Elite model. Initially, we noticed a cracked bottom trim. Then, the door started to sag. (very similar to the previous pictures) After about a month or two, the door disengaged when it was open. (It has a cam that slightly lowers it to create a natural opening location, the problem is that this lowers the already sagging door to the point where the top shaft comes loose.)

A day or two later, the door completely fell off when it was opened. It went crashing to the ground and condiments and milk went everywhere. I am thankful that my toddler wasn't around. The bracket that used to be linked to the trim ripped out of the foam. There is no frame in the door, and the only structural support for the bracket is some medium grade vinyl. Once this cracks due to the shearing stress created by the use of a small bracket, the foam gives way pretty easily. 

Sears so far has not been very helpful. I have submitted a complaint to the CSPC as well as a one star review to a certain online review site.

Thankfully I have a 1977 GE refrigerator in the garage. It will be getting some use until this issue is resolved with Sears and potentially Whirlpool. (JD weld or metal brackets would damage the "evidence" :-) )

I also have Kenmore side-by-side model 106.54682300.  Same broken door hinge (the pictures earlier could be my fridge).  I bought it last February, so it's out of warranty now of course.  I took it to the Sears service center, which fortunately is just down the road.  The lady there was of absolutely NO USE.  After that I carried it to the store where I originally purchased the fridge.  The salesman there was much more helpful and understanding, but he could do little but put me in touch with the national service center.  Bottom line, they are sending a tech out tomorrow at no charge, but I don't know what the result of that visit will be.   The unit is less than two years old and a new door is $600.  Needless to say Sears is in serious jeopardy of losing yet another customer unless they replace the broken door.  I won't be buying another door from them under any circumstance.  It would just break again anyway.

This is poor engineering.  Anybody can look at the 1/8" piece of plactic that holds the door up and judge that it is insufficient to do the job.  If this is a common issue, which it obviously is, then the manufacturer needs to step up and take responsibility. 

I have now been stood up twice by the Sears repair people, having stayed home a half-day each time to meet the technician.  No explaination, no calls, NOTHING.  Certainly no new door.

I'm starting to think they are just jerking me around.

I'm finished with K-Mart Sears.  Who needs this?

This is one reason I tell everyone not to buy appliances with the Kenmore name on them, even tho they are not made by Sears, you are stuck going thru their warranty service department since the Kenmore name is on the unit....

Finally got Sears to pay for the door. Had to get the approval of the local Store Manager. The Corporate OneSource department had to be by far the worst people I have dealt with in a long time. They did not offer to pay for the parts and were argumentative about weird things. (They were stating that my 1.5 year old refrigerator will actually be two years old in March. Apparently they didn't learn that tactic from Dale Carnegie.)

The local Sears people were great.

I got the door yesterday and installed it. The instructions in the owners manual were pretty good.

I will be keeping the old door and fixing it, because I believe it is a truly bad design and want a backup in case the new door fails before the eventual recall.

While I am happy with Sears, I am now going to be directing my attention to Whirlpool. They need to fix their mistakes, especially when safety is involved.