Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Isn’t it time to know what you don’t know?

Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Stay connected with us...

Samurai on Facebook - become a fan today! Sign up for our free newsletter and keep up with all things Appliantology. Subscribe to our YouTube channel for lots of appliance repair tips and help! Follow the Samurai on Twitter and get timely morsels of Appliantological Wisdom! Subscribe to our MST Radio podcast to learn secrets of the trade.
jmh226

Bosch dishwasher shu5315 intermittent heating

5 posts in this topic

Hi all,

This is my first post! I recently acquired a used bosch shu5315 dishwasher. It wasn't working well, long run times, stuck at 1 minute remaining, etc. All of the classic control board problems, so I opened the machine up and sure enough the control board was burned at the heater relay. I repaired the solder joint and voila! it worked...for the first few runs. Now it seems to sometimes work and sometimes not. I've measured the current coming in and it is at ~11 amps like it should be most of the time, but I ran the super heavy duty cycle yesterday and the heater was only pulling ~1.25 amps. Then I ran the diagnostic cycle and the heater was back up to normal amperage. I ran the regular cycle after that and it was fine. So it seems that I still have an issue with either the heater assembly or the control board. Any advice as to what the problem could be? Can the heater element work intermittently, or is it the kind of thing that just stops completely when it fails? I tend to think that perhaps my control board is bad, but I'd hate to blow $150 on that and then still have to replace the heater for $127... I'd appreciate any advice you can give me!

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

[user=67866]jmh226[/user] wrote:

.. Can the heater element work intermittently,..

no

could be another bad connection somewhere,

OR the Relay contacts are bad

(could be replaced)

May have a partially burned solder joint at the heater relay on the control board. Take the control panel apart and have a look. Kill power first.

Picture

[user=1]Samurai Appliance Repair Man[/user] wrote:

May have a partially burned solder joint at the heater relay on the control board. Take the control panel apart and have a look. Kill power first.

Picture

yep. ive found that when one of the relay solder joints burns, the others are cracked and need to be touched up.

Thanks so much to everyone for your help with this.  It sounded like the consensus was that the issue was with the control board, so I took the control board out and sure enough, as "denrayr" suggested, all of the heater relay solder joints (other than the burned out one that I had previously repaired) were cracked.  I resoldered them and now she's working like a charm again!  Thanks again! :)