Isn’t it time to know what you don’t know?

Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Stay connected with us...

Samurai on Facebook - become a fan today! Sign up for our free newsletter and keep up with all things Appliantology. Subscribe to our YouTube channel for lots of appliance repair tips and help! Follow the Samurai on Twitter and get timely morsels of Appliantological Wisdom! Subscribe to our MST Radio podcast to learn secrets of the trade.
Servicerifle

GE TBX25PR icemaker door stuck open

10 posts in this topic

I have a similar issue to those with the SxS fridge/freezers.

I have a TBX25PRBSLCC GE Profile refrigerator/freezer (top/bottom) and the in-door ice despenser contraption is not functioning properly. The little outlet door is stuck in the open position (by spring tension) and the icemaker therefore freezes up. I can close the door by hand, but there is nothing to keep it closed, though I can feel places on the back of the door where an "arm" might have gone before. Could you folks help me find out what I need and how I get into the door to get to those parts? Thanks!

BTW, the parts didn't "disappear," I just moved into this house and the refrigerator was left by the former owners.

Thanks again!

Steve

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

Either turn off the power or hold the freezer doors open a little with your foot while you do this or you will be dispensed upon.  Take off the white rubber thing you put your glass to.  Remove the black plastic thing you just exposed.  Use a small flat screwdriver to pry off the little plastic cover with the writing on it.  You'll see 4 Phillips screws.  Piece of cake after that.  Looks pretty nasty under there doesn't it.

The black and white flapper thing is your "chute door".  The white thing the door is attached to is called the crank.  That rusty thing that connects to the crank is your chute door solenoid. A small spring slides over the crank on the right side of the door.  The little circuit board is called a time delay.

So, can I clean this stuff and make it work, or do I need to replace some or all of them? Which ones? THANKS!!!!!

Argh, no dice. I took off the white thing you put your glass against, and behind it was a black square with a round hole in the center. I pulled that off and behind that was only a while "l" shaped piece (short part of the L facing the user) that is the trigger for the mechanism. No little plastic cover with writing, nothing...

Use the force and look for words like "Water, Ice, Crushed, Cubes".  Are they not written on a plastic cover?

Ah HAH! Thanks, Jedi Master! Now, what do I do with all these ugly parts? Replace or just clean?

I pulled the shaft from the solenoid...it was rusted pretty bad. I guess I need a new solenoid. Anything else I should buy in the process? Thanks again!

Ah...... Grasshopper, You are almost at one with the Force and don't even realize it.  You already know you are going to replace your chute door solenoid.  You want to replace the chute door also but want to be told to.  You are there, it is your decision..  Use the Force, It can guide you.. It's guiding you already.