Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Isn’t it time to know what you don’t know?

Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Stay connected with us...

Samurai on Facebook - become a fan today! Sign up for our free newsletter and keep up with all things Appliantology. Subscribe to our YouTube channel for lots of appliance repair tips and help! Follow the Samurai on Twitter and get timely morsels of Appliantological Wisdom! Subscribe to our MST Radio podcast to learn secrets of the trade.
XJHEAD

ice maker

7 posts in this topic

Where do I beagn to troubleshoot an ice-maker that does not fill or try to dump the tray??? The lever is down. Valve works, I swapped the water disp. wires wire it and it ran water. Is the icemaker on a automatic timer so it will dump the tray even if not filled with water??? Where do I start..

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

White-Westinghouse/Fridgidaire. WRS24WRA

Buy the looks of this style of ice maker it goes into harvest when the thermostat in the head of the ice maker gets to about 14 degrees, it could not care if water is in the mold or not.  If it is rotating and no water is in the mold you have either an ice maker that is not sending voltage to the water valve, or a bad valve.  If your valve opens when you reverse the wires sounds like the valve is not receiving voltage from the ice maker,  check for voltage at the valve when the ice maker should be calling for water right before it stalls for the freeze position.  If you get  120 volts to the valve you could have a frozen fill tube or a defective fill valve on the ice maker side.

Sorry I should have stated it does nothing, will not start a cycle  or rotate

Check to make sure you're getting 120v to the icemaker. If you are, then try to initiate manual harvest: Grab the rake fingers and pull up gently until it "catches" and continues on its own. If the icemaker won't harvest, and you're sure you have voltage, then you'll need a new icemaker.

Pulled the front cover off in freezer compartment, wow found a schematicI'll run with that too. I did rotate the timer gears a little and it went through a cycle on the timer gears but did nothing else. I do have the electrical disconnected from the water valve right now though so I do not know if it tried to fill or not..

do the same exact thing again to get the ice maker to begin another harvest but either have your meter hooked to the wires that should be on the valve and watch it to see if you are getting voltage. Or hook it back up and see if you are getting water. OR DO BOTH AT THE SAME TIME. Remember that the call for water is for a very short time.....seconds, so watch the meter closely and do not stop until the rake has gone completley around.

Seems good now. I just need to get new valve seals or valve,  seals leaking. When I opened freezer  it was going through a cycle on its own. It raked the tray the at the end of cycle it energized the fill valve.. Thanx all for the help. I'll respond back when I fix valve....