Learn Circuit Fu, the ancient lost art of appliance repair…

Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Stay connected with us...

Samurai on Facebook - become a fan today! Sign up for our free newsletter and keep up with all things Appliantology. Subscribe to our YouTube channel for lots of appliance repair tips and help! Follow the Samurai on Twitter and get timely morsels of Appliantological Wisdom! Subscribe to our MST Radio podcast to learn secrets of the trade.
crp294rp2

Heating Element with No Resistance

10 posts in this topic

I've got a Magic Chef electric dryer model YE20EN4. The dryer runs but there's no heat. I've read posts here and checked the resistance at the heating element. There is no resistance. I assume there is a short that is bypassing the element. Does this sound right?.

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

[user=361]crp294rp2[/user] wrote:

I assume there is a short that is bypassing the element. Does this sound right?.

No.  Most likely you've either dropped one of the hot legs on the dryer outlet or the thermal fuse is open.  More info here.

I'm not sure what you meant by "dropped one of the hot legs on the dryer outlet. Also there is something called a high limit thermostat next to the heating element. Is this the same as a termal fuse?

Hello, my semi-literate friend.  First, let me say how much I empathize with the difficulties you apparently have in reading English.  I, too, share this burden with you as English is but a 17th language for me.  Since you were unable to read the link that our most dear and gracious host, Samurai Appliance repair Man, so generously provided for you to illuminate your path, I shall attempt to read it myself and see if, together, we can discern its meaning.  Are you ready?  Very well, here we go:

Use your meter to measure for 240v at the dryer outlet.  Apparently, our illustrious host says that the dryer motor can run on 120v, but the element need 240v to get hot.

I think it would be advisable to check the continuity of anything that is round with two terminals on it, regardless of their name.  If any of them are open, you should replace them.

I am afraid that is as much as I can comprehend.  The remainder of the Samurai's glistening pearls wisdom are too brilliant for this old and dottery man to bear.  Come, take the torch and march onward to victory and Paradise, where you shall be served fresh grapes by young, scantily-clad virginal boys.

[user=361]crp294rp2[/user] wrote:

I've read posts here and checked the resistance at the heating element. There is no resistance.

Do you mean that it has infinite resistance?  In other words, when you short your probes together, you get zero (or near zero) resistance.  Is this what you get when you touch them to the heating element terminals?  Or is there no reading, as though you didn't put the probes on anything?

The readings are zero when i check the heating element and when I touch the two probes together.

And you have at least one of the wires to the heating element terminals removed to isolate it from the rest of the circuit?  I'll assume yes.  In that case, you need to replace the heating element

00146528.jpg

Nope, didn't remove any wires from the heating element prior checking. I will try that.

That's the picture of what I'm looking at. I checked, with all wires still connected, at various places with the same results.

Sorry for my confusion.

Ok, removed wires from heating element and still have 0 resistance.

Ok, that confirms it.  Go git you a new heating element.