Lost with the new appliances? The Samurai teaches you Circuit Fu…

Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Stay connected with us...

Samurai on Facebook - become a fan today! Sign up for our free newsletter and keep up with all things Appliantology. Subscribe to our YouTube channel for lots of appliance repair tips and help! Follow the Samurai on Twitter and get timely morsels of Appliantological Wisdom! Subscribe to our MST Radio podcast to learn secrets of the trade.
allowingtoo

LG Tromm Electric Dryer DLE7177WM

70 posts in this topic

looking at the Wiring Diagram, when the Dryer should be running, if there's 120v across Controller connector BL2 pins 1 & 2, then the Controller is OK.

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

thanks.

we took it all apart again, checked the motor - which was OK, put it back together, and the dryer mysteriously fixed itself. Go figure.

I swear - this is the dryer from Hades.

Is there a picture somewhere on how the dryer belt goes on? I'm still not sure that it's on right. It seems like it's turning slower than it used to. Both belts go under the big wheel and then separate to go around the drum?

from DLE7177 Service Manual

pagefromdle7177servicem.jpg

Yes, that's the picture we had to go by. It makes no sense in the real world.

The only way we could get the belt to fit is for both of the belts to go under the wheel on the left. And then they separate - to go around the drum.

But I was just drying a load of clothes and the drum stopped. So something is clearly not right.

the picture may be a liitle confusing

The portion of the belt that is on the top of the Motor goes around the pulley, and continues to the right around the Drum.

The portion of the Belt on the bottom of the Motor goes directly to the left around the Drum

<<<I was just drying a load of clothes and the drum stopped.>>>

The BELT may need to be checked to verify correct installation.

Also verify that the BELT remains in the groove of the MOTOR PULLEY as well.

Possible failing MOTOR (overheats & cuts-out).

Edited by john63

And no, I don't know what it is. I just pulled the dryer apart and saw it.

Looks like belt shavings, probably from the belt not being installed correctly resulting in the motor pulley spinning at a higher angular velocity than the belt itself. New belt time, comes with a 365 day warranty, even if you install it wrong==> http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Belt-Drive/1266808?modelNumber=DLE7177WM

There is a flat spot on the belt. DH is convinced he is installing the belt correctly.

post-6921-0-10853700-1295646352_thumb.jp

post-6921-0-30619300-1295646390_thumb.jp

Belt from bottom of Motor Pulley should not touch the Idler Pulley.

Can you post a picture of the "end view" of the Roller ?

01188044.jpg

hope this works. this is kind of what it looks like when the belt is engaged the way he wants to install it.

post-6921-0-64430400-1295650648_thumb.jp

once it lifts up, the belt is not touching. That is the only way that amount took up the correct slack of the belt for the drum that we could see.

looks good

Now ya got fingered out!!!!!

You had the belt looped around the wrong side of the idler pulley the first time.

Edited by Budget Appliance Repair

You had the belt looped around the wrong side of the idler pulley the first time.

the first picture was taken from the "back side" of the Pulley :kopkrab:

The first two pictures were taken from above. Then you wanted the "end view" so I took one from the unused back vent hole (since we use a side vent). They were all the same installation, so I'm kind of confused. We didn't change anything that I know of. I don't think.

So what picture were you looking at that you said was installed wrong? The two pictures? Post #61? or Post #63?

OK, we have put it back together for the - what was that? The 4th time?

It sounds better.

Will report back after I dry a load of clothes.

Yay it's working!! Thank you for all of your help.

I also replaced one of the sensor bars along with the new belt - it never occurred to me I would need to order 2 sensor bars - I'm Blond - don't hold it against me. It didn't really need it but it was so inexpensive, I just ordered it anyway. When I did replace it, I found out that underneath it, it was caked up with hard damp lint residue. So I took the other one out and cleaned under it also. My clothes were not drying the last time under the Heavy Duty Very Dry cycle but did dry under the Speed Dry cycle. I think the Heavy Duty cycle is under the sensor side? They were very very damp. This time they dried normal on that side.

Next time I think I'd get the extended warranty. This has been fun but there ought to be a better way to meet new people and learn new things :thanks: