Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Learn Circuit Fu, the ancient lost art of appliance repair…

Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Stay connected with us...

Samurai on Facebook - become a fan today! Sign up for our free newsletter and keep up with all things Appliantology. Subscribe to our YouTube channel for lots of appliance repair tips and help! Follow the Samurai on Twitter and get timely morsels of Appliantological Wisdom! Subscribe to our MST Radio podcast to learn secrets of the trade.
Tarheel Technician

Whirlpool Freezer light switch

3 posts in this topic

Whirlpool freezer model #EV171NYMQ02.

Brand new freezer. When door closes, it barely pushes the light switch far enough for the light to go out. Sometimes it goes out, sometimes it does not. When the door is closed, you can barely pull on it and see the light come on. I tried adjusting the door....it helped a little, but not enough. I'm going to replace the switch to see if a new switch's contacts will open earlier than the old switch.

I'm still a fairly new technician, and I've never actually had to replace one of these switches. The switch I took out of this freezer was broke. I'm not sure if I broke it removing it or not (probably so), but the wires don't seem to pull out of the liner. It seems to me that they have to in order to replace this switch.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

I wold be calling for warranty service if this is a brand new freezer, those may be foamed in with a kit to repair the switch and wiring. Have seen this with other brands.

Unless you're the guy doing this as a warranty job. :yikes: