Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Learn how to troubleshoot using schematics like a real tech…

Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Stay connected with us...

Samurai on Facebook - become a fan today! Sign up for our free newsletter and keep up with all things Appliantology. Subscribe to our YouTube channel for lots of appliance repair tips and help! Follow the Samurai on Twitter and get timely morsels of Appliantological Wisdom! Subscribe to our MST Radio podcast to learn secrets of the trade.
mresman

Riser Cams on my GE refrigerator

3 posts in this topic

The riser cam on my GE refrigerator broke and now the door will not close by itself and now  I would like to purchase and install new ones.  My problem is that I can find several riser cams that look identical except for color and price.  The replacement part costs $14 dollars but a virtually identical part, except for color, costs $3.

Can I just purchase the less expensive part?

Thanks

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

Ah, Grasshoppah, you are learning something that we Master Appliantologists have known for many moons: GE charges three or more times more for the same, exact part that is sold by other manufacturers. It's one of the many reasons we always rail against GE appliances. Besides being junk the day they're made, they rip you off when you go to buy replacement parts. But, people still buy GE because they sell 'em at Home Depot. So the freak show continues....

Buy the less expensive part.

The force it telling me this is on your fresh food door. You need to replace your hinge and cam. The WR13X10026 is the most popular. Have your model number ready and look for your part at the bottom of this page. Some kits have the hinge and cam like the one I linked to above. Some come with only the hinge and you need to get the cam separate.