Learn how to troubleshoot using schematics like a real tech…

Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Stay connected with us...

Samurai on Facebook - become a fan today! Sign up for our free newsletter and keep up with all things Appliantology. Subscribe to our YouTube channel for lots of appliance repair tips and help! Follow the Samurai on Twitter and get timely morsels of Appliantological Wisdom! Subscribe to our MST Radio podcast to learn secrets of the trade.
skoobahead

Amana icemaker dispenses too much water

10 posts in this topic

Hello,

My Amana icemaker Part #SRD25S5W(side by side with water and ice dispensing in left door) dispenses too much water and it flows over into the ice cube bin. I was told it is either the water inlet valve or possibly the ice maker module assembly . Is there any way to verify which one is bad before I start buying parts?

Thanks

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

Remove the module head cover and jumper out T to H to initiate the harvest cycle.  This page explains.  Watch the fill with a flashlight-- could be that the fill spout isn't seated in the fill cup at the back of the icemaker mold. 

You would test the valve by repeatedly energizing it using a test cord, checking to see if it shuts the water off promptly when the power is removed.

Thanks for the response.

The fill tube is installed correctly. As far as the fill valve is concerned have you ever seen fill valves that stay open 3-4 seconds longer than they should? This is what mine is doing. Is this normally the valve or a problem with power being applied too long?

Thanks Samurai

Ah, but does it stay open because the voltage is staying on it too long, thereby keeping it open, or is it because the valve is mechanically sticking open?  That is the zen koan for you to ponder. 

I gave you a homework assignment in my last post:

You would test the valve by repeatedly energizing it using a test cord, checking to see if it shuts the water off promptly when the power is removed.

Your report is overdue.  You lose one letter grade according to school policy. ;)

Ok here's the latestet Samurai:

Replaced fill valve-no help.  Adjusted water fill level screw-no help.(no change at all) 

Water fill valve gets power for 10 seconds (2.5 seconds too long) I believe Im looking at a bad icemaker module? Any other thoughts, words of wisdom?

Well, it was either the module or the fill valve-- you had a 50% chance of guessing the right part.  I was trying to get you to do a simple test on the valve that would eliminate guessing altogether. 

You need a module:cool:

I know:?.

Thanks for your help. Do you recommend I buy the module for $70.00 or the icemaker assy w/module for $100? Any installation tips? Does anything have to be readjusted, etc.?

Thanks

[user=29]skoobahead[/user] wrote:

Do you recommend I buy the module for $70.00 or the icemaker assy w/module for $100? Any installation tips?

Wow, I didn't realize the price difference was that little.  Buy the new icemaker.  You'll avoid other future problems with the icemaker such as the teflon finish coming off the mold, thermostat or mold heater going open circuit, etc. 

Installation is plug n' chug.  The new icemaker comes with complete, illustrated assembly instructions.  Allow 12 hours after installation for the new icemaker's thermostat to get cold enough to allow it to start the harvest cycle.

Ok Samurai,

Installed new icemaker module. Do these need time to start working? I thought water would fill immediately but it's been an hour and nothing seems to be happening. Should I start to worry?;-) 

Check it later tonight then sing my praises.