Dumbstruck by the new computer-controlled appliances? Let the Samurai enlighten you…

Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Stay connected with us...

Samurai on Facebook - become a fan today! Sign up for our free newsletter and keep up with all things Appliantology. Subscribe to our YouTube channel for lots of appliance repair tips and help! Follow the Samurai on Twitter and get timely morsels of Appliantological Wisdom! Subscribe to our MST Radio podcast to learn secrets of the trade.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NetworkGuy

Maytag wide-by-side MZD2766GEB...three guesses what's wrong

5 posts in this topic

First, great forum...wish I had found this when my hot water heater was having problems a few weeks ago...

now, on to the Maytag wide-by-side. Three guesses what the problem is, but you'll only need one. Frost in the back of the freezer, fridge not cooling. I'm out of work now, so looking to save some $$, I googled the problem and wound up here, though every hit I got seemed to suggest the ADC was bad. Saw the 365-day return policy here and since the best anyone local could do was a week later, I ordered. Problem is, I didn't completely read the thread (Five page thread on this from several years ago), I'm not an electronics guy, pictures and links are missing, and it's a bit hard to follow some of the conversations.

I managed to locate and replace the board, but I THINK what I have to do now is short L1 to test. Like I said, I'm not an electronics guy, so while I can take a guess, I'm not 100% sure what that means and how to go about it. I have a multimeter, but have never used it (and really don't know how...I got it free w/ coupon and purchase a Harbor Freight...free is good, I'll figure out what it is later, right?!?!). Would someone be willing to give me a step-by-step and/or electronics 101 to help fix this? I'm a handy guy, fixing and building stuff all the time, so I don't need idiot proof directions, but the kiddie version would be helpful.

Thanks!

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

Have you installed the new ADC yet ?

On the "older" ADC, the first and second pins MAY be labeled L1 and TEST.

If not, you have the "newer" style ADC (see below)

Turn the Cold Controls to MAX cooling.

The Compressor should run.

Momentarily short L1 and TEST pins together with the tip of an insulated screwdriver.

The Compressor should stop running, and should energize the Defrost Heater.

If the ADC "buzzes" it's bad.

The newer style ADC may not have the L1 and TEST pins ..

(there's another way to activate Defrost)

Yes, I have installed the new ADC. I hadn't taken the time to defrost manually yet, so I crammed everything into the garage freezer (aka extended-stay leftovers keeper attached to full-sized beer storage unit) and will do that now. The old one has L1 and test marked..not sure about the new one. Should I short that on the new one?

Here's the current frosty-ness state as I go try to find the wife's hair dryer:

102_5084.JPG

... as I go try to find the wife's hair dryer:

... The old one has L1 and test marked..not sure about the new one. Should I short that on the new one?

... and a few towels..

yes, if it has those pins labled L1 and TEST,

otherwise on the "newer" ADCs, it's easier..

I think its "turn cold control ON /OFF 3 times within 6 seconds, then leave on MAX cold"

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0