Learn how to be your own tech line...

Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Stay connected with us...

Samurai on Facebook - become a fan today! Sign up for our free newsletter and keep up with all things Appliantology. Subscribe to our YouTube channel for lots of appliance repair tips and help! Follow the Samurai on Twitter and get timely morsels of Appliantological Wisdom! Subscribe to our MST Radio podcast to learn secrets of the trade.
setotitan

Making A Rukus During Spin Cycle - GE WCVH6260FWW

3 posts in this topic

Well I posted here three years ago and got the advice to remedy my problem. I'm hoping I can have another round of luck today. I have a GE Front Loading Washer model: WCVH6260FWW. As I said, three years ago I had a bad inverter, let me link you that post in case it helps..

GE WCVH6260FWW - Need Help Install Inverter

I fixed that and everything's been A OK. However just today it started sounding horrible on the spin cycle. I mean just loud knocking like it's going to explode. On top of that there's some black gunk on the clothes when they come out. They're little dots in the shape of the inside washing drum. My wife tried to clean it earlier, but I don't know if that's just gunk breaking loose from where she cleaned or if it's symptom of the spin problem. I've always heard when you get knocking or a loud spin cycle "it's a counterweight that's come loose and the load isn't balancing right when it spins". This obviously is advice from laypeople who can only guess as to what's wrong, but of course have no idea how to fix it.

That's why I'm here, to ask a pro. Is it a counterweight, or something else, and more importantly is it something I can fix myself? Any and all helpful feedback is welcome. Samurai don't fail me now!

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

Do this test...

open washer door and grab the top edge of the inner wash basket

push straight up on the basket while steadying the outer drum with your other hand

is there any lateral movement? Or is it tight and secure?

hope for the latter, because the former is the telltale sign of a worn bearing, a broken support spider or both...not worth repair if this is the case.

If all is good here, go around back and take off the cover. Look for a loose pulley on the basket shaft.

of course the counterweights could be loose but you don't need me to tell you how to check this.

Edited by KurtiusInterupptus

Shoot, just now checking this that I am at work. I'll try what you suggested as soon as I get back home, I'd ask my wife to do it, but I don't know if I'd trust her answer. HAaHaha!