Begin your journey to appliance repair mastery…

Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Stay connected with us...

Samurai on Facebook - become a fan today! Sign up for our free newsletter and keep up with all things Appliantology. Subscribe to our YouTube channel for lots of appliance repair tips and help! Follow the Samurai on Twitter and get timely morsels of Appliantological Wisdom! Subscribe to our MST Radio podcast to learn secrets of the trade.
ancel1961

Kenmore Electric Dryer 11063932101

14 posts in this topic

Hi, I have Kenmore Elite Electric Dryer 110 6393 2101 that has me scratching my head
I experienced a no heat problem, so I checked my power outlet, the continuity on the heating element, thermal fuse and hi-limit thermostat. All were good
So I replaced a power / heater relay (Item # 528722... Manufacturer Number # 3405281), and started the dryer. The dryer began to heat immediately so I turned off the dryer thinking that the problem had been solved
Later, I went to dry some clothes and once again there's no heat wallbash.gif

I checked the power outlet & continuity again...all are good. I switched the power relay to the heater relay position and vice-versa to make sure that the new part was still good. The dryer powered right up, but still there's no heat

Now I'm at a lost and confused because the dryer produced heat when I first put on the new power/ heater relay, but a few hours later, I'm back were I started

Any ideas what could cause my situation?...I'm totally lost

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

Did you check continuity with the wires disconnected?

verify power at the terminal block and jiggle the power cord to ensure

you dont have a bad connection.

Did you test the original relay that you replaced or guessed at it?

Run the Dryer in the Air-Fluff no-heat Cycle.

Test for 120v AC between each of the following to chassis (a good ground)

each side of Thermal Cut-Off

each side of High-Limit Thermostat

each side of Heater Element

I checked for continuity with the wires disconnected from the heating element, hi-limit and thermostat

The terminal block and cord both check out good

I replaced the (power / heater) relay because the dryer starts without a problem and the circuit board doesn't show any signs of damage / scorching

I was hoping that replacing the heater relay would solve the problem...And at first it did. The dryer produced heat when I plugged it in and turned it on, but when I went to dry some clothes a couple of hours later, the dryer would not heat

I've checked the tech sheet that came with the dryer.

According to the Fabric Care Temperature Switch Test section, when the Temp switch is in the Medium Temp position, I should have continuity between contacts 2&4.

When the Temp switch is in the Medium High position, I should have continuity between contacts 2&4 and 1&4

There seems to be a problem with my #2 contact.

In Extra Low Temp position, I have continuity between contacts 1&4.

In High Temp position, I have continuity between contacts 3&5, but the #2 contact is open when I try to get continuity between it and the # 4 contact when the temp setting is on Medium and Medium High

Afterwards, I put the dryer in Diagnostic Test Mode to see if it would show a problem with the FCT Switch, but the switch beeped when it was supposed to in all 5 temp settings

Since the FTC Switch does not show continuity between contacts 2&4 should I replace it despite the results of the Diagnostic Test

Does anyone have an idea as to what may be causing the problem?

Run the Dryer in the Air-Fluff no-heat Cycle.

Test for 120v AC between each of the following to chassis (a good ground)

each side of Thermal Cut-Off

each side of High-Limit Thermostat

each side of Heater Element

I ran the test for 120v AC to each

Each checked out good

OK, that verifies that the Heater, all thermal devices, and the Motor Centrifugal Switch, are all working and connected.

Did you test the Thermistor ?

Yep...I'm stumped on this one

What really has me scratching my head is that the dryer produced heat when I replaced the Heater relay with a new one,

but when I did laundry two hours later the dryer would not produce heat

What do you think would cause that situation?

I appreciate you taking the time to help methumbsup.gif

Yeah...I was thinking that toowallbash.gif

The most expensive item left

Oh well, that's life

One last question...Do you think that the board could be why the dryer originally would get hot after I replaced the relay,

then turn around and go back to not producing heat?

could be ...

Ok Thanks

And like I said earlier, I appreciate your taking the time to help me

May God continue to bless you

Peace