Check out our online tech training courses at Master Samurai Tech…

Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Stay connected with us...

Samurai on Facebook - become a fan today! Sign up for our free newsletter and keep up with all things Appliantology. Subscribe to our YouTube channel for lots of appliance repair tips and help! Follow the Samurai on Twitter and get timely morsels of Appliantological Wisdom! Subscribe to our MST Radio podcast to learn secrets of the trade.
Slug

Dishwasher

4 posts in this topic

I have a six year old Kenmore dishwasher, model # 665.15895793, that apparently has something rattling around in the grinder of the pump.  I have scoured the site for info' but am getting more confused as I research.  The parts diagram from Sears notes that the pump gasket must be replaced anytime the pump assembly is removed.  It then shows the gasket as the first part in the assembly...which has to be a mistake.  What I would like to do is just peak inside and see if I can get to whatever is rattling around.  Does this really require major surgery?  I gather that if I call a repair person they will do the easy thing and replace the motor/pump assembly.  The cost of doing that could suggest to me that it would be better to go out and get a new dishwasher.  Shoot...I'm so far behind I'm not even confused about the repair...I'm confused by what to do first!

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

But you're not removing the pump assembly-- you're merely disassembling the top part of it to get access to the sump and impeller area.

How far can I disassemble before I am in danger of disaster?  My confusion stems from the Sears diagram which suggests that the gasket is at the beginning of this action.  I'm sure that can't be right but...I do wish to avoid getting in over my head.  See:  http://www3.sears.com/ for the diagram of the pump/motor.  Why does the diagram start with #16 and then not show it anywhere else in the picture?  (I sure do hope I am making sense, oh honorable one.  No beer is involved-so far.)

Just take off the spray arm and start tearing down. Until you're lifting the entire motor out of the basin, you're in no danger-- and that's not something you can do by mistake.