Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 30 March 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, March 30 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Miele w4840 Washer Customization

bugsAreNotFeatures

Country Options:

What changes if you change the country from USA to S (Sweden) AUS (Australia) or EU (Europe)? Is there a document that lays this out? My dear wife would like hotter wash options like European models have but I'm not sure if change to EU will do that and/or what else it does.

Heater Output Options:

Default is 1060W. We are off-grid and lower wattage is easier on the renewable energy supply. Can we just switch to 720W and accept longer warm up times (we have cold water hooked up to both intakes)? Or is there more involved than the menu setting?

Temperature:

Allows setting of Celsius or Fahrenheit... is there any way to get this displayed anywhere? Or is it irrelevant?

Optical Computer Interface:

Service manual suggests programs may be modified via this. How much modification is possible, and how would one come by the necessary hardware/software to make use of this interface?

Documentation:

Are there any other documents available for this machine in addition to the service manual?

Please let me know if I can clarify anything, and thanks for the help!

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You should not change the Country of origin as those Countries also use 220V, 50 Hz. supplies - Miele Technicians carry the Interface Rig

All of the adjustments can be made by manual input, unless programs have been reflashed from factory ($$$)

Those heaters, being 120V, are not nearly as effective as the 240V predecessors (or the smaller versions)

P/M'd 2 other documents (which are now in "Kool Stuff")

Heater Output Options Experiment Results: I tried 720W (6 amps @ 120V). Washer still drew 9-10 amps (in line with default 1060W heater setting + drum rotating back and forth). So it appears that this heater setting is just telling the washer the size of the heating element installed, not actually regulating power to heating element in any way. As expected--and contrary to hopes--1060W element takes 1060W regardless of setting at 1060 or 720W. My wild guess would be this element size setting may be used by the computer to estimate how long it will take to heat the water. Otherwise I have a hard time figuring out what it would be useful for.

Water+, Water+/extra rinse, Maximum Water Level settings: Machine default is Water+/extra rinse and Maximum Water Level off. We tried switching to water+ (w/o extra rinse) and found the Sensitive button no longer adds time to the cycle--seems like a bug--though we did not stick around to count the number of rinses so we're not sure if it still would have added an extra rinse or not. Does anyone know if Maximum Water Level setting applies to wash portion of cycles, or just to rinse?

Interface: As an industrial programmer who programs much more complex machinery with a passion for optimization I'd love to be able to tinker with the washer program and remove some annoyances. A quick internet search gives me the idea that coming by the Miele optical interface and software to use it is not likely to be easy, and I'm not even sure if that would allow re-programming a wash cycle or a door interlock (just let my wife pause & open that door anytime the drum is stopped--seeing as you won't heat the water hot enough to burn anyone anyway you silly washer!). Might be the only way would be to replace the controller with a PLC I can program and just use the sensors and motors from the original washer--would be fun if I was bored, not likely to happen due to large time requirements. If anyone knows otherwise re: hacking (or legitimately getting access to edit) Miele washer programs, please let me know :)

... 720W .... default 1060W heater

you could use some type of step-down power transformer connected to just the Heater ...

100V should give you about 720W

here's some used, variable transformers on eBay $ 50 - $ 100

Archived