Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Lost with the new appliances? The Samurai teaches you Circuit Fu…

Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Stay connected with us...

Samurai on Facebook - become a fan today! Sign up for our free newsletter and keep up with all things Appliantology. Subscribe to our YouTube channel for lots of appliance repair tips and help! Follow the Samurai on Twitter and get timely morsels of Appliantological Wisdom! Subscribe to our MST Radio podcast to learn secrets of the trade.
Learning2

Power surge Frigidaire FAFW3511KWO front load washer

9 posts in this topic

Had a power surge that burned up 4 point-of-use surge protectors, 5 GFI's, an electronic fan switch, and my whole house surge protector. Now my washer does not work - no power, no lights, dead.

Question is - where do I start looking? Of course there are loads of susceptible electronics in there - but where to start?

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

... where do I start looking?

maybe Home Depot :whistling:

the main Control Board may be bad, but hopefully not the Motor Controller ...

Take a look, seems there'll be visual evidence ...

OK - I see a burn mark on the control board right where the 120V line plugs in. So I will replace that. Can you speculate on whether that is as far as the damage goes or do I just have to try it out?

And is there a risk of burning out the new control board when I install it and then try to start the machine if something downstream is bad?

Thanks. I know this calls for speculation but I will take your expert opinion gladly.

The main controller would be the first thing hit with a surge, if the machine wasn't running the motor controller shouldn't have been affected. If the motor controller did get taken out at the same time, I've never seen a bad motor controller take out the main control board so if you install a new main control board and for some reason the motor controller is bad it shouldn't take out the new main control board.

OK - I see a burn mark on the control board right where the 120V line plugs in.

Pictures, pictures!

OK - finally finished the repair. Takes a while when you replace one electronic component at a time. The surge knocked out

1. main control board ($130)

2. user interface board ($110)

3. pressure switch / sensor ($45) - plugs into the control board

The surge was caused by an open neutral - an underground cable let go. Thus I got 240v on half of the panel - including the washer.

Now my washer plugs into a high quality surge supressor which in turn plugs into a GFCI. I also have a whole house surge protector (which fried). The surge knocked out 6 GFCIs and 3 high quality point-of-use surge supressors. These items saved all my other electronics so I feel a little better my washer is now protected also.

Tip of the week: BE SURE YOUR DRAIN HOSE DOES NOT WORK ITS WAY LOOSE as you slide the washer in / out many times making these step-wise repairs. It was wired down but not enough to handle so many in / outs. My house survived Hurricane Irene but not a loose drain hose!post-6827-0-18928200-1316991598_thumb.jp

nothing will prevent damage from a disconnected Neutral ..