Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 30 March 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, March 30 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Kenmore Dehumidifier 580.54351700 Won't stay on

mapit

My dehumidifier is not staying on. After finally realizing it had a filter and the filter was filthy, I cleaned that out. The dehumidifier will turn on but not stay on. I have tried various settings, including fan on high, controller set to maximum drying. It has stayed on as long as 13 minutes then shuts off for hours. Then it will come on for 2-3 minutes and shut off for hours. This was on an 80 degree day, raining. The basement was warm and humid.

Prior to this problem, the "off" was not working. When I would turn the machine off, it would keep running. The "off" still doesn't work. In order to turn it off, I pull out the bucket which makes the auto shut off light come on then unplug it.

The unit is probably five years old. I run it in the spring and fall when it is extremely humid and/or raining.

Any ideas? I think the sensor might be the problem but I don't know where to look for it.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

... Then it will come on for 2-3 minutes and shut off for hours.

... The "off" still doesn't work.

Kenmore 580.54351700

seems to be similar to the LG LD40

1) what shuts OFF, just the Compressor, or also the Fan ?

could be a bad Humidity Control

2) could be a bad Humidity Control

disconnect the Humidity Control from the Main PCB Relay Board, to see if it will turn OFF

click on picture

01052150.jpg

1. Remove 2 screws which fasten the front grille.

2. Pull the front grille forward and upward.

I muscled the front grill off but I don't understand what I am supposed to disconnect. I see two small leads going to a round item behind the humidity control knob under the front grill. I am following the picture of the part you included. or is this something I access from the back of the machine? Thanks for any and all help you have provided and continue to provide.

.. I see two small leads going to a round item behind the humidity control knob

yes, but I'm not sure if they will disconnect or if they are soldered ..

OR follow those wires to the Controller Board

Archived