Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Learn how to troubleshoot using schematics like a real tech…

Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Stay connected with us...

Samurai on Facebook - become a fan today! Sign up for our free newsletter and keep up with all things Appliantology. Subscribe to our YouTube channel for lots of appliance repair tips and help! Follow the Samurai on Twitter and get timely morsels of Appliantological Wisdom! Subscribe to our MST Radio podcast to learn secrets of the trade.
cichlid7777

Huebsch (Amana) Washer Spins, but hardly Agitates

34 posts in this topic

Huebsch HWT120WM

serial 020301939

I am trying to figure out how to change the belt on this machine but I am not having any luck. I already purchased the new belt but not sure what I need to remove to swap belt. Do i replace this from side of the machine or the bottom? what item must i remove to slip the belt on? please anyone with step by step instructions I would really appreciate it.

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

Huebsch HWT120WM

similar to Speed Queen

and Amana

for Belt replacement,

see PDF pages 32 and 33 of

Amana RS3100007R0.pdf

also

HWT120WM

Instalation 38857en.pdf

Parts 39200.pdf

Service Manual 39201.pdf

links PM'd

where will I find these manuals? do i have free access to these? thanks for helping

near top right cornner of any page ...

check the envelope to the left of your username

hi thanks so much I just finished changing the belt. The machine does not agitate after the drum fills with water, I can hear the motor but nothing happens. It then spins and drains all the water as it should. How can i fix that it does not agitate now?

I just ran another cycle to double check I took clothes out and ran without anything in it. I peaked in the machine with the door slightly open, the agitator is moving very slowy not with very much power at all, with the thick blanket I put it it did not move at all. What can I do to fix so it agiates with power?

Belt Drive ... no Coupler

I'm not familiar with those symptoms on that model

I just replaced the belt on the machine it spins but wont barely agitates. Anyone else know how I can fix this?

> edited topic title for clrification

I am being told to replace the motor on the unit that it has gone bad? any thoughts

I am being told to replace the motor on the unit that it has gone bad? any thoughts

if it Spins OK, the Motor is OK

I was told the motor can still be bad if it spins, part of the motor works for agitation only so part of it could be bad, a broken coil , its a 2 phase motor. thats what was told at least would love anyone else who has an opinion on this Im sure Im not the only one that has had this happen

after the drum fills with water, I can hear the motor but nothing happens.

It's not the motor - somehow the belt is slipping when under load, I'm not familiar wit this brand of machine, but if it is anything like the domestic Amana's, there are several belts available that are all slightly different length so ya wanna make sure you have the right one. Also the belt tension spring could be weak - see if you can add tension to the belt while running and cause it to agitate

similar model

50035478-00009.png

Yep - that's the design I remember (not good memories) - you need to watch and see if the belt is slipping, that spring (key#6) can become weak. Also check and see if you can turn the transmission pulley by hand

the manufacture says it cant be adjusted, the belt is still on. The manufacturer did say it was a 2 phase motor and said that even if it spins the motor could be still bad while it agitates. If anyone know how to adjust belt that would be great.

I took the old belt and a new belt to my local appliance parts place and they said the belt was the right one and it was fine. thanks in advance for those helping and those that have helped.

... The manufacturer did say it was a 2 phase motor and said that even if it spins the motor could be still bad while it agitates

... who ?

is the Belt slipping during Agitate ?

I called technical support at Huebsch today and they said the motor is a phase 2 and even if it spins like normal a portion of the motor is wounded up to work just for the agitation portion of the wash. How would I tell if the belt is slipping during the agitation? I will have to figure out how to test the motor and see if its putting out the right ohms, not really sure which wire leads I woud test

How would I tell if the belt is slipping during the agitation?

Watch it while agitating, if the motor pulley turns (motor running) and belt does not turn transmission pulley, it's slipping

the transmission does turn and the machine agitates weakly, it should have more power to get the clothes clean

Here is a video I posted. The clothes are barely moving back and forth, they are not getting clean and the machine is not being overloaded. The agitator should work better to move the clothes around the drum.

and the Belt is not slipping at all ?

See if you can turn the agitator by hand, it should NOT move easily if at all by trying to turn from the top of the agitator.

I believe these have a drive bell similar to GE and maybe it is stripped out. Seems to be too even of a movement back and forth to be that problem though. Almost looks like it's in a very slow/delicate agitate cycle but again seems way to slow for that also.

It's not a problem with the motor and if it spins good and strong it's not a problem with the belt, agitate takes very little effort to turn the drive pulley, if the belt were loose or improperly tensioned you wouldn't be getting a good spin.

Remove the belt from the transmission pulley and turn the transmission pulley by hand in the agitate direction. It should turn very easily with hardly any resistance at all and the agitator should move back and forth, have someone watch what the agitator is doing while you turn the transmission pulley. If it's hard to turn then something in the transmission is binding up, (possibly agitator shaft seals gone bad and let water into the transmission and gummed up the agitator output shaft).

I can hardly turn the agitation by hand, I have to hold it with two hand , it moves but not easily. it does agitate slow, I will try moving the pully from underneath to see if that binds up.