LIMITED TIME OFFER: Use code 10YEARS10 to get 10% off your Appliantology membership. Click here for more ×
Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

No upcoming events found

hanging furnace: Reznor xl 170: need help with wiring

jm56

Got a hanging fan for my workshop: Reznor xl 170, current model number is f-165

I have read the manual available at rezspce.com. This is for the newest mondle with spark pilot.

I have an older version with gas pilot.

It also has a basic gas valve, only two wire connections: "ITT General Controls."

A wiring box is attached to the back of the fan motor housing, with a transformer attached to one end of the box.

Wires and connection:

black, yellow, red ::: attached to 2 sensors in the furnace, black connected to both

Tan, white ::: fan motor

black, white ::: transformer

screws 2 ::: transformer

screws 2 ::: gas valve

This is how I figger it should be wired:

The 2 transformer screws, through a thermostat (in series , one side), to the gas valve's 2 screws

AC

black :: connect to: black to the sensors

white :: connect to: white motor and white transformer

sensors (I am assuming the larger black sensor is the fan control switch)

black (hot) :: connect to: AC black

yellow (sensor: heat limit) :: connect to: white transformer

red (sensor: fan control) :: connect to: tan wire, fan motor

Pictures here: http://logicalarts.com/temp/

Please advise

J

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jm56

• applianceman18007260692

You have 2 circuits to deal with:

The heat circuit and the fan circuit. The heat circuit consists of 24 volts going to the gas valve from the transformer and being operated by a simple 2 wire thermostat like in yer pix. Note: usually the pilot thermocouple has a high limit mounted in it's circuit on the the heater that melts and kills the pilot in case that klixon don't turn the fan on or the fan is bobo and that is yer built in safety.

The fan circuit consists of that Fan klixon (wired to live current always) when the temp reaches around 120f it kicks in AND a high limit which kills power to the circuit if the fan fails to come on at the correct temp. Both the LIMIT AND the FAN Klixon are identical in nature but work opposite. The fan klixon will have a F and the temp rating stamped into the metal such as F-120 while the Limit will have something like L250 stamped into it.

So what goes wrong?

If the fan does not come on the limit shuts everythang down AND their ought to be another fuse (rated 300f) mounted somewhere near the burner to kill the pilot so that the thermocouple will cool down and shut off the flow of gas before the whole shebang burns down the shop.

Symptoms of a hangin heater gone south.

Pilot working, main gas won't ignite? Bad gas valve solenoid, transformer is wank, rat chewed the transformer wires.

Note: If you have a cheap asz boss like I had their is no need for a thermostat. The only time the heat came on was when he paid the bill and manually turned it on! LOL

Edited by applianceman18007260692

Looks good to me. You might want to add a melting type fuse near the burners in case the fan don't come on and the limit fails.

Most of the time the fuse gets tied into the thermocouple circuit so that when it melts it kills the thermocouple and that shuts down the gas valve. They sell a little insert that has 2 wires on it. You remove the themocouple and stick the insert in the magnet then screw the thermocouple into it. You can then add in the fuse to the circuit.

Edited by applianceman18007260692