Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 30 March 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, March 30 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Carrier 58SXA060100GG Furnace - Inducer runs but no spark or pilot

gonorm

My furnace worked last week, but this week it no longer fires up.

When I set the thermostat to call for heat, the inducer fan starts but the pilot never sparks. The inducer runs for a few minutes and then shuts down. I would like to figure this out since I have some time but have not made in progress over last couple days searching the internet. Thanks.

Norm

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• gonorm

• RegUS_PatOff

• applianceman18007260692

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't hear a click that would indicate pilot gas valve opening, but it could be hidden by the inducer noise. Is there a simple test to see if the pilot gas valve operates?

should be able to "feel" the Gas Pilot Valve open, and / or smell the Gas

Check the thermal Fusible Link Fuse on the Yellow wire that connects to the Gas Valve and the Spark Generator

RegUS, I separated the molex before and after fusible link yesterday and found continuity across fusible link. I will go put my finger on the gas valve and call for heat to see if there is a click. I have not smelled gas but let me put nose closer.

I don't feel a click with my finger on the gas valve. I don't smell gas. The gas could be getting exhausted by the inducer fan. What next?

check the Pressure Switch (and it's tubing)

Common - Yellow

Normally Closed - Orange

Normally Open - Brown

Blow through the tubing to make sure the vacuum between the switch and the inducer is clear.

I did the pressure switch. NO and NC ok. Blew into hose and actuated pressure switch. Both sides changed state. Blew into hose from pressure switch to inducer. Air moving. Also found continuity on the temp limit switch behind the gas valve.

If the Pressure Switch is activated, there should be 24v AC (measured to ground) at the

Gas Valve

4 Yellow

5 Brown

either the Fuse is blown or a bad Flame Sense Switch:

24v AC at Yellow

24v AC at Green

24v AC at White (only when there's Flame)

At connector PL5 feeding into the PIL I found

26v at yellow

0v at brown which feeds green into the PIL

0v at white

The 26v at yellow proves the Fusible link. I think.

Strange but also found 3.5v at yellow before touching to ground. Only did this on yellow not other brown and white connections. What do you think.

So would the 0 v at brown feeding the gas valve and 0 v a brown feeding green into the PIL indicate a problem with the Ignitor?

Thanks for your help.

(make sure the Brown / Green wires aren't shorted to ground)

You could disconnect PL5, and there should be continuity between Yellow and Green, if not, bad PIL

Jumper Yellow to Brown on (still disconnected) PL5, and you should get Sparks at your Ignitor and get Pilot Flame

Checked and found both sides of PL5 brown and green not shorted to ground.

Disconnected PL5 and found no continuity between Yellow and Green on PIL side. So bad PIL.

Jumped Yellow to Brown on ILO/GV side, powered furnace, after 15-20sec sparker started and pilot lit and maintained blue flame. I then cancelled thermostat after 10sec before unit fired up.

So I need a new PIL? Can you help with part number to search. Recommend source.

Also any instructions on correct procedure to replace PIL assembly or do you just figure it out.

Looks like I have to disassemble the bottom of the fire box and remove gas fitting and couple of screws.

Nice job Sensei.

sorry, I don't know anything about that Furnace :whistling:

just what I found on internet searches...

PIL part number may be

LH-680-005

LH680005

Sears $ 140

eBay $29 used

$40 +$7 new

Do a search for each of those part numbers

There was a "old" class action lawsuit or something on the Heat Exchanger on that Furnace ..

http://hipspro.com/pubs/Furnace-clasaction-detailed_notice.pdf

Thanks. "This" must be the ouch price. Man those guy must love using the markup calculator.

Can you clean these things and get them working again or are they normally shot to sh*t?

Can you reuse the sparker or do you I need a new one also?

The Ignitor should be OK..

You may be able to open the b ox and take a look at the switch ...