Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Learn how to troubleshoot like a Master Samurai Tech...

Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Stay connected with us...

Samurai on Facebook - become a fan today! Sign up for our free newsletter and keep up with all things Appliantology. Subscribe to our YouTube channel for lots of appliance repair tips and help! Follow the Samurai on Twitter and get timely morsels of Appliantological Wisdom! Subscribe to our MST Radio podcast to learn secrets of the trade.
smilesdaguitar

Kenmore Side by Side Model # 106.59422801

5 posts in this topic

Hello

This is my first post here and I need some questions answered. I'm Grateful for any help I can get.

Ok. I have a Kenmore Side by Side in which I purchase May 5 2010 New from Sears. The Fridge stopped cooling on both sides. When the compressor kicks on it runs for 3-5 seconds and then a loud CLICK and then it shuts off. The first thing I done was pulled the start relay and it looks like Brand New, no burn marks, no rattles. I took the start relay in to town to purchase a new one. The person I went to tested the relay and said it was fine but I was told by someone else their is noway to test a Start Relay. He told me I had a Bad Compressor (without looking) and told me I needed to buy a "3 n' 1 Relay Overload Start Capacitor" in which I did purchase it. He told me I may get another 6-12 months use out of it and to send it to the trash pile. LOL.. really that's what he told me. Is this True? How long will it last on this "3 n' 1 relay overload"? I did get it running again and now working as good as new. But how long?Can you Test a Relay Starter? Also the divider between the unit is a little hot toward the middle, is that Normal? I never noticed it before but really never paid that much attention to it.

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

... compressor kicks on it runs for 3-5 seconds and then a loud CLICK and then it shuts off.

... tested the relay and said it was fine ... but I was told by someone else their is noway to test a Start Relay.

... He told me I had a Bad Compressor

... told me I needed to buy a "3 n' 1 Relay Overload Start Capacitor" in which I did

... Also the divider between the unit is a little hot toward the middle.

1) normally would be a bad Start Relay

2) depending on how it was tested... could have a Start Relay Tester, etc ..

3) could be.. if the Start Relay was good.

4) a "3 'n 1" may extend the life of a bad Compressor OR you could purchase a replacement Start Relay $$

5) yes, but make sure the Condenser Coils by the Compressor are clean

Thanks for Your Help Sensei. Till today I have never ever touch or even thought about working on a APPLIANCE...lol.. Amazing what you can do when your in a tight spot. Bad part is it was under warranty till May 05 2011, why couldn't this happen then..lol

How long will it last on this "3 n' 1 relay overload"? I did get it running again and now working as good as new. But how long?Can you Test a Relay Starter?

Need to be concerned with the amount of amps the compressor is drawing when it's running. You would need an amp meter for this.

If you used a 3-in-1 with a run capacitor it should be drawing about 1.5, without cap., about 2. If it's 3 or higher then you may get a year out of it.

... You would need an amp meter for this.

if you have a HarborFreight Store near you:

sometimes on sale. . . sometimes 20% OFF coupon

image_7104.jpg