Isn’t it time to know what you don’t know?

Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Stay connected with us...

Samurai on Facebook - become a fan today! Sign up for our free newsletter and keep up with all things Appliantology. Subscribe to our YouTube channel for lots of appliance repair tips and help! Follow the Samurai on Twitter and get timely morsels of Appliantological Wisdom! Subscribe to our MST Radio podcast to learn secrets of the trade.
kenahoo

Relay for Bosch SHX46A02UC/46

29 posts in this topic

Hi,

I bought a Bosch SHX46A dishwasher from my dad when he bought a shiny stainless-steel model to sell his house. He liked it, it worked fine, and in particular he said it dried the dishes really well.

The trouble is, when I installed it & started using it, it really didn't dry very well at all. And now, about 3 months after installation, something in the heating system seems to have conked out, because it's taking 6 or 7 hours to go through a cycle, and the cleaning quality has gotten really bad.

Any suggestions? Does this model have any diagnostics that can be run? Is there a service manual available?

Thanks.

-Ken

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

Forgot to mention - when I took out the large-item filter & screen to clean it out, there was about a half-inch of water standing there. Is that normal?

So - I took the door apart & took the control module out, and there's one solder terminal that's burned out and not making a connection anymore. Looks like that's the culprit.

So I have 3 choices I guess: 1) solder the terminal back together & keep the same control module; 2) install a new control module (seems to be about $150 for the part, ouch!); 3) also keep looking in the heating circuitry for some kind problem that would have put too much current through that terminal & caused it to short.

I'm not sure really what I'm looking for in 3), because I don't have a service manual. Any advice or direction here?

1) solder the terminal back together & keep the same control module

common problem, just re-solder the connection ..

You guys are the best - despite my shoddy soldering skills (and I couldn't find my desoldering braid so there's all kinds of nasty leftover crap on the terminal, and the relay's post had burned off so much it was barely visible), the dishwasher seems to be working again. A zero-dollar fix, yay!

Nice work! :rock_band:

Post photos of your craftsmanship and earn a Merit Apprenticeship!

kenahoo,

The resolder will be a short term repair at best. You need to replace the relay with a higher rated relay as it is the cause of the failure.

I keep a stock of the various relays, and I repair the boards also. Purchase of a new board will lead you right back to a failed solder joint (from the boards I have seen from Bosch, they have not upgraded the relay yet.).

Contact me at BoschRepair "at" tx.rr.com .

Thanks, I suspected as much. We might not be keeping this unit too much longer though, because a kitchen remodel might be on our horizon. But if it fails again before we get to replacing the whole unit, I'll definitely contact you.

I previously posted about troubles with a Bosch SHX46A, which I repaired by re-soldering a terminal:

http://www.applianto...hx46a-troubles/

The problem is back, though, and I want to try replacing the affected relay. But I haven't been able to contact {BoschRepair "at" tx.rr.com} , does anyone know another source for the proper relay replacement?

Thanks.

my advice at this time, would be to purchase a new board, as there are several different models, that begin with SHX46A, a complete model number may also help us find out if they have created a new revison, for your control board.

is it still becoming un-soldered ?

are there any part numbers on the Relay

pictures ?

Looks like it's an SHX46A02UC/46. I haven't cracked it open again to find any specs on the relay itself. The serial number is FD870500229. Is that enough to find info on the relay?

I'd like to avoid a new board if possible, unless I really know they've re-spec'd the relay that keeps faulting. But if I have to, it looks like this might be the one, at $76: http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Control-Board/676967/1550778?modelNumber=SHX46A02UC%2F46

I might point out that it is not usually the relay that has failed, but the solder securing the relay - anytime I have taken them apart the spot is obvious on the back of the board, just clean it up and resolder it.

Right, I've actually already performed the re-solder repair on this board a few months ago, but it seems under-spec'd and likely to fail again. And I'm running out of post on which to put solder.

So a different relay will cause the solder not to melt ? That is the heater relay which draws quite a bit of current while running, not sure how a different relay would change that. In the past I have just put a healthy dose of new solder on the board and had them run for a few more years.

I previously posted about troubles with a Bosch SHX46A,

Merged topics

You didn't post the full model number, but you might wanna write it down with the serial number and check it here:

http://bosch-home.com/us/recall.html

I put the full model number in a subsequent reply (I had to use a dental mirror to read it, it's right up against another cabinet), but sadly it looks like I'm not covered by the recall. I had the same thought.

Might be worth checking with Bruce over at fixyourboard.com and see if they have a solution for you

I put the full model number in a subsequent reply

OK - found it and edited title

Kdog is correct. The relay is not the problem. The problem is the design of the pc board lands that the relay pins are soldered to. In our shop we repair these by using an "eyelet" (rivet) to re-inforce the connection so that it can sustain the high current required by the heater. You can achieve the same result by using a piece of copper wire to surround the relay pin and flow the solder around the wire, pin and pcb land. You need a decent soldering iron for this but it's not difficult if you have good soldering skills.

Happy TG everyone! (ok, kdog, I know yours was last month -- belated!)

Thanks for that