Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 27 April 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, April 27 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Kenmore (GE) Leaking Drain Solenoid

Jimbo.2

Oh Exalted One,

I once again come seeking your sage advice. Perhaps you remember me? I am the one who is currently engaged in a battle to the death with a Calypso washer. While I was waiting on a new motor for my evil clothes washer my dishwasher sprang a leak. The dishwasher in question is a Kenmore (GE) Model No. 363.1404598 Serial No. SS333949R. This particular leak is coming from where the torque tube for the drain solenoid enters the plastic pump housing. Further, the leak only appears when the solenoid is in the drain position.

I have several questions before I attempt a repair. I assume this is just a bad seal, however, a generic manual I have for GE dishwashers states it is advisable to replace the entire motor/pump assembly whenever either component develops a problem. Is that true, or is that merely an effort to separate me from some hard earned beer money? I’m thinking it would be much more cost effective just to replace the seal. Or, provided the pump assembly can not be easily disassembled and reassembled, just the pump assembly itself and not the motor. What do you suggest? Also, the while the drain solenoid is still working it has all kinds of crud built up on it from the leak. Should I replace it to while I have the dishwasher apart? Or (unlike my patience at this point) is the solenoid fairly resilient? If it helps the washer has been in service for about 7 years.

Finally, when making your suggestions could you help me with some part numbers? The model number I gave you is correct (I checked it several times), however, it’s not in the database of the part supplier you’re affiliated with. I also tried looking this washer up on Sears’ Parts Direct site. Sears Parts Direct initially finds the model number and lists it as a Kenmore dishwasher. But if you click on that selection to bring up the diagrams and parts lists the website replies it can’t find that model. Are these standard parts?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No Samurai, that's not what Jimbo is looking for... He needs the drain flap shaft seal: WD8X181 CLICK HERE to order

Jimbo, if your shaft has this push-on nut in front of the seal I would suggest that you order a new one also. They can be difficult to get off, so easier to just cut off with sidecutting pliers and replace with new one.

00075105.jpg

Part# WR2X7054 CLICK HERE to order

The older units used a flat washer and a c-clip like that is in front of the shaft lever and was a much easier setup to deal with.

As far as your drain solenoid being rusted, if it's still working it should be ok to just clean up the plunger shaft and solenoid guide hole and it will be ok.

• Team Samurai

Thanks for watching my six on that one, WillieB! :dude:

Samurai,

I think Budget Appliance Repair has this one right.  The leak is coming directly from behind a push on nut identical to Part# WR2X7054.  Both parts are on order.  Thanks once again for the help!

• 2 weeks later...

Budget Appliance Repair you rock! The new nut and seal cost just under $26 (with shipping and all) and it was an easy fix. The dishwasher is now back in service and Mrs. Grasshopper is relatively happy. She’ll be a lot happier once the Calypso is fixed, but that’s anther story all together. The replacement drive motor had to be reordered again since my first order for a replacement was lost. Who knows, maybe I’ll get some nookie when I fix the Calypso

Anyway, thanks again Budget Appliance Repair! :gimmebeer:

Archived