Dumbstruck by the new computer-controlled appliances? Let the Samurai enlighten you…

Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Stay connected with us...

Samurai on Facebook - become a fan today! Sign up for our free newsletter and keep up with all things Appliantology. Subscribe to our YouTube channel for lots of appliance repair tips and help! Follow the Samurai on Twitter and get timely morsels of Appliantological Wisdom! Subscribe to our MST Radio podcast to learn secrets of the trade.
heritage

Kenmore Gas Dryer Thermal Fuse 417.79042990

7 posts in this topic

Waiting for my Kenmore Gas Dryer 417.79042990 to dry my karate pants I came to notice a burnt electrical smell in the air. Realizing the dryer was not running I snatched open it's door and noticed the light inside was on but the clothes were not dry. A snap kick was quickly loosed on the unit shutting it's door. A round house to the start button and no signs of life.

The light comes on, the drum spins freely. (My pants had originally snagged on the edge of the lint filter and had stopped the drum.) Is here a thermal fuse on this unit? If so how does one get to it? Thanks!

Edited by heritage

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

... Is here a thermal fuse on this unit?

no Thermal Fuse on that model,

only auto-reset Thermal Limiters

Doesn't heat at all ?

Howdy, Heritage. Not sure if your dryer has this or not, but on some models, the engineer's were thoughtful enough to leave a little peep hole in the bottom of the front panel so we could get some eyeball action on the ignitor. Can still be done without it, just a lot slicker this way. What you'd be looking for is seeing if the ignitor glows initially and then in a few seconds you hear a click and the ignitor stops glowing. That's the telltale sign of bad gas valve coils ==> Gas Valve Solenoid Set

And here's how to replace 'em:

no Thermal Fuse on that model,

only auto-reset Thermal Limiters

Doesn't heat at all ?

Sure enough, tried it after it had sat for a few hours and now is working fine. Thanks!

I think now that it did not leave us high and dry or in this case low and wet right before Christmas. Will keep it around and buy the maintenance kit for it. (Has been pinching some items between the frame and the drum.).

That is the telltale sign of the front bearing failing ... prolly oughta get a look at that rear "trailer ball" bearing too...